delaware river shad

marcq

marcq

Anyone know of any spots on the Delaware where I could swing flies with a spay rod? gonna try around easton.

Marc:

I have fished up by Martins Creek. I parked @ Riverside bar and grill. Martins creek dumps in there, so you have a shot at smallies, trout and musky. Its was a little tough wading. Haven't been in years so not sure of the current conditions etc.

The real action gets going this weekend as the river temporarily clears while it is warming at the same time.

Im hoping to get out friday or Saturday.

try below the RR bridge in Easton, used to be a great place to swing. same for Frenchtown if water is wadable. park on jersey side along road below bridge, good place along there. you'll need to get down real fast with your fly near bottom this time of year. I use leadcore shooting heads on my spey and switch rods.

Sandfly just curious how long is the section of lead core you use as a tip. I have a sinking tip but will probably need more weight to get down in fast stuff.

interesting. I have only ever caught shad on the top.

is that due to strong flows in the big river Sandfly ?

they hug the channels on their migration, once the water warms to 50 for some time they will come into the shallows and daisy chain, you can use bright wet flies for them then near the surface, mostly I carry lead core in 1960 to 340 gr. heads all the way up to 35 foot with braided mono for running line. I use an 8 wt. this time of year either single or 2 handed. I have a bunch of shad flies up for sale, need to thin them out since I don't get to fish over that way as much as I used to do. I'll be putting them up on my web site today some time. selling by the box.

This will be a good weekend to get out. I was out today in lambertville (not with fly rod) and we boated over 30 before losing count. Lost another 10 or so. With rain coming next week it may screw up the shad fishing for most of next week.

Went up to easton yesterday fished all day with the spey. I hooked a fifish my first good cast but got off. then some guy thougjt it would be cool just to anchor 30 from the bank infront of me. Snagged his line with a few swings and then moved. ut was more a day of learning how to cast the spey but guys were catching. luke sandfly said they are on the bottom. I think my tip wasn't getting down deep enough. still was nice to get out. That spot is really cool. Very wadeable just have to find room between spin anglers.

You have to love thy neighbor when shad fishing. This will be the week Easton comes alive. If the rain doesn't come down in sheets and the river is fishable, a light rain will keep the crowds down.

look for any place the river narrows and has a deep channel, islands are good points. if you can get out to them they are always good and away from the crowds. shad will pound up before running the fast water near islands and are good for fly rodding. any place with deep water near a channel works as the pass, you can hit a bunch then nothing for awhile then another bunch will pass and hit. just have to put in the time for them. I miss fishing shad...

So what would you want your flies to look like and what sizes would you want to be using? Are there any colors that are better/worse than others?

My experience in spinning rod fishing is color tends not to matter as much as sparkle and action. It's gotta wobble side to side and its got to have a glint and flash to it. I have seen flies tied with mono loops on the side of the hook shank with the loops filled in with epoxy to create the wobble. If nothing else use something with lots of flash. Shad are very easy to catch when they are there so just get out and use something shiny close to the bottom.

just a few to use
if you are not losing flies on bottom you are not in the strike zone for shad

Attachments

• 3-17-08 017.jpg
    3-17-08 017.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 6
  • 3-17-08 018.jpg
    3-17-08 018.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 4
so small, bright, flashy clousers will work well. Thanks for the heads up.

Not to small. I wouldn't go smaller then an 8 or 10. When herring fishing we would catch shad on plain gold hooks with a little gold sequence on the hook. Again, they are not difficult to hook. It's location, location, location.

Sandfly. Those flies in the top picture look perfect for the job.

I like a red over yellow wet fly with a tinsel wrapped body I use either calf tail or marabou for the wing

I did this last year for the first time...had a blast

Back