Delaware River Shad Fishing

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
The shad season has been late to start this year due to the cold water temps, but the fish are up. Latest reports linked below from the DRSFA site.

Shad are fun to catch on the fly. Give it a try in the next few weeks when the water warms. Check out the reports:

http://www.drsfa.org/fishing-log

I've got trips scheduled for the 11th and 12th. Actually think I'm gonna hit trenton area on the 11th and lambertville on the 12th. May just stay in Trenton if we can hook up with some stripers above the Calhoun street bridge on the 11th.

Going to do my best to get out there for some stripers on the yak this year.

Fredrick wrote:
Going to do my best to get out there for some stripers on the yak this year.

Haven't heard many reports on D stripers, but the River is up and cold, may be tough right now. If I hear anything, I will post it.

I’m hitting the big D this weekend for shad- I’ll try and post a report to let y’all know how my buddy and I do.

I get an e-mail report from Lewis Fishery in Lambertville. Last night they had 38 shad in their net last night. They've been sending reports out for the last week or so. This is the first report where shad were caught. Looks like the shad are starting to move up river as the water warms up. Water temperature in the river there was 49.5 degrees last night.

You'll find over time that reports of Shad "starting" to move up the river often understate or underestimate the extent of the migration that has already occurred.. Usually, fishable numbers are already up the river when the water temp finally gets high enough and flows low enough that many anglers can catch them, not just the anglers with down riggers. Evidence is that when the first good weekend of good flows and warmer water occurs, Shad are "suddenly" being caught from Trenton to the water gap or even Bushkill. There is obviously a peak to the run, however, and in central to upper Bucks Co that usually occurs between April 12 and April 24 whether the flows and temps are good for fishing or not.

As for stripers, this yrs timing is pretty typical. Some large fish have been caught in the Estuary over the past two to three weeks by bait anglers and a number of fish 20 inches and mid-teens have also been caught as well. Most fish will still be out in 20-30 ft of water, although some stray, large females will move into warmer embayments in shallow water, the warmer temps of which probably aid in egg development. Only a few were seen yesterday in the Tidal Schuylkill electrofishing run below Fairmount Dam, so progress up the Schuylkill has been a little slow. With the distance that these fish can cover in a day, however, empty habitat today could be full of stripers tomorrow. I can only make one guarantee,...you won't catch any sitting at home.

They are there.

Went out of Trenton yesterday to try to get lucky on some stripers. It wasn't to be but the boats that were shad fishing and the guys on the bank were landing shad at a pace that kept them interested.

Went out of lambertville this afternoon and everybody was catching shad. We didn't have any doubles but we boated a dozen in two hours. Not insane action but it was steady.

Tomorrow should be a good day and probably another week they will be in there thick. Mike, I got to agree with you since none of our fish were bucks. They were all roe. Usually we catch more bucks then roe but as the run continues we catch more roe then buck. Wonder if we missed a chunk of the run already?

If your interested in fishing for shad in the lower / middle Delaware river this season....now would be the time!

Report from yesterday:

onemoreshad | Hatfield | Monday April 23rd 8:52 pm
I can confirm the HUGE PUSH. We fished lower river today. Two of us in boat and could not even run more than 3 rods together. Put 100 in boat in 6 hours and missed or lost another 25-35. Many boats with 15-20 fish per hour. Crazy. At one time I saw a dozen boats and everyone had fish on. Many triples when we had a 3rd rod out. COMPLETE MAYHEM. Glad we where part of it!! Tight lines!! Shawn

http://www.drsfa.org/fishing-log

Yep. Launched under the Trenton makes bridge yesterday and the shad were being hammered from boat and shore. Water temp was between 47 and 50. I was fishing for striper and didn't have any luck. It's still a little early for them, maybe another couple weeks. Weather permitting I'll be hitting lambertville on Thursday and Friday for my last shad trips of the year. River was running high all week but finally dropped below 3'. I'm hoping the rain tonight and tomorrow don't amount to much.

Hit the river today and the shad action was borderline mayhem. River was at 3.3' with a 10 to 15 mph wind which made holding anchor difficult. Definitely not flyrod conditions. Lost count, 30, 40, 50 who knows. At the best spots guys probably pulled in a hundred but the 2nd, 3rd and 4th best spots did well. We had the best spot at one point but after a dozen failed attempts at anchoring we had to leave it for any other spot where the anchor would hold.

Fished from shore Thursday 4/26 at Reigelsville (near Musky boat ramp) and it was windy, but good. The shad travel along the seam of the eddy behind the bar at the mouth of the Musky, so one doesn't need a hero cast to find fish. Was deep right off shore at this water level so need a spey/roll cast to play now. Gusts did hurt casting at times. Wasn't on fire, but most people were in the double digits which in normal years is great. For the last 2 years that is just fair.

The boat traffic was crazy though. With the tourney going on there were 43 trailers in the lot and along the nearby road at lunch. Some guys anchored up the night before to get a good spot for the 8 AM start.

My fishing buddy fished above the Gap Friday 4/27 and reported "sick" fishing for what its worth.

Now is the peak time to go, but last year the fishing above the Gap held up into June! After early May the crowds practically vanished at the best time of the year for fly flingers. I fished 2 to 3 times a week and had excellent fishing every time I went out (except one time in late June when hundreds of fish were spawning, which is cool to witness, but none were hitting), so keep shad fishing as an option for a while yet.

Fished on the Pa Riegelsville side today, but only had one. Boats on that side were having some action.

40+ today, Lambertville. Boats with the prime spots easily doubling that.

While catching more would have been fun, one was all I needed to keep me happy, as my wife put in a one shad request for fish cakes as I went out the door. I used to be an avid shad angler, but I think I have only fished for shad about three times in the past ten years and the other two times were after the peak of the run. You definitely appreciate each fish's fight when you've only caught a couple over a long stretch.

Mike wrote:
While catching more would have been fun, one was all I needed to keep me happy, as my wife put in a one shad request for fish cakes as I went out the door. I used to be an avid shad angler, but I think I have only fished for shad about three times in the past ten years and the other two times were after the peak of the run. You definitely appreciate each fish's fight when you've only caught a couple over a long stretch.

Fish cakes? > The only shad recipe I've heard (besides eating the roe) is > Cook on a wooden board until done and eat the board?! :oops:

My father used to be a member at the York Country Club and they would have shad as a specialty. He always got the fish and the roe. I never cared for the fish part of it and just ordered the roe. Stauffer's is my local grocery store and they have a very good seafood section.

Shad fillets sell for $15.00/lb. I wouldn't pay that much for blue fish either.

Shad fishing in bucks county is best from a boat, as far as numbers are concerned. Bank fishing with a fly rod in this area is not the best approach for numbers.

poodeck, I spent 35 years fishing shad around bucks county never used a boat. even guided for shad. most days 5 to 25 fish depending on the run. I came up with special heads for fishing shad years ago. lots of places to go if you know the river.

I've spent an equal time fishing the bucks county area from a boat. I will admit I do not know bank fishing on an intimate level as I only see people on the bank. The last few years 5 to 25 would be a so so day from a boat and usually means you didn't get up early enough to get the best spots.

Back