Delaware River multi-year, multi-region Smallmouth Bass surveys report

M

Mike

https://www.fishandboat.com/Fish/Fisheries/BiologistReports/Documents/Bio2021/5-6x02-03-DelawareRiver.pdf

Report covers survey years 2005-2020.

Interesting.
While the numbers were down for YOY and adult SMBs in 2020, the overall numbers since the mid 2000s have been fairly stable.

No surprise that larger SMBs are showing up in larger numbers in the DE River these days as this reflects trends from other watersheds.

Thanks.

(Now, if we could just get the numbers for the Susky in 2019 and 2020. I really don't know what the hold up is on this.)

Dave_W wrote:
I really don't know what the hold up is on this.)

Too much stocking Smallies over wild Smallies of course, lol.

I should really learn to catch then in the Delaware. In the 90's I used to eat allot of them out of the Delaware. I caught them in riffles with worms in good numbers. Since I began FF I've only fished for them twice and I've only caught two. I see them, some really big ones, but my presentation does not entice them.

Dave,
The adult sites that are sampled in what is designated as the lower Delaware R in the report were set up by my crew in about 1982. There were 8 adult sampling sites for that survey; three of the four best that are also reasonably geographically separated are those that have been sampled consistently over the years since about 1990 or thereabouts.

The problem with the lower river from a SMB habitat standpoint is that it tends to be wide, shallow, and featureless (sand, gravel, cobble bottom, and not a lot of rock). That is especially true from Point Pleasant (Tohickon Ck confluence) downstream, which represents the lower half of the lower river. The upper half of the lower river is not nearly as bad and I would recommend that anglers focus their energies there if they can. Of course, there are isolated areas in the lower half of the lower river, as in any river, that are more suitable, and fishing those short, individual stretches of good habitat can be very good, but I am speaking about the general trend with respect to less than desirable habitat.

You have certainly seen here how individuals blame the decline of SMB in the lower Schuylkill on flatheads from about Pottstown or Limerick downstream. I have always countered that with the gradual degradation (sedimentation by sand and gravel creating a largely featureless river bottom) of habitat that has occurred. We saw that happening as early as the early or mid-1980’s. One need only look at the Delaware R data to understand how poorer habitat in the lower Delaware produces poorer catches, even with electricity fished at night, to recognize that the even poorer habitat in the lower Schuylkill would and does produce even worse catches. It takes more than water to produce good habitat. Again, there are a few isolated areas of fair to good habitat in the lower Schuylkill just like in the lower Delaware, but they are uncommon and short.

What is causing sedimentation to get worse?

Farming practices? Construction? I thought conservation practices in these fields were supposed to be improving, not getting worse.

Thank you for posting. after another horrible Summer/fall of SMB fishing on the lower Delaware river I switched to fishing the nock. Since the report is more of the same it looks like I'll be fishing the nock more this summer and fall.

The Nock is a good bass lake if you have a boat and are willing to put your time in.

Has anyone tried the Giving Pond in Upper Black Eddy? Interesting Place, I may visit there more. I've heard it is connected to the river and certain species are known to go back and forth. When I was in High School it was still an active quarry and some of the kids in my class would claim they were sneaking in and skinny dipping there. Apparently the habitat is challenging to panfish breeding as the walls are relatively steep and there aren't many areas to spawn. I have friends that have enjoyed catching Bass there. I'm hoping for Pickerel.

The Giving Pond: some river fish can enter the pond under certain flow conditions. 2014 report below....
https://pfbc.pa.gov/images/reports/2014bio/6x12_10giving.pdf

Back