Deer Hair

S

SteveG

I have a heck of a time trying to find decent deer hair for spinning. Even my favorite material company, Nature's Spirit, is hit or miss enough with it that I won't buy sight unseen from them. Does anyone else know of a company that puts out quality deer hair?

I'm actually thinking about tanning my own. I have plenty of friends and family who archery hunt (as I understand, early season deer hair is the best for this application), and could probably score a hide or two for free.

If anyone has done so, in addition to dying the hair, is this a feasible solution?

Yes. It's a bit of work, but I like challenging hobbies that require a little time investment.

Also, if it curls, cracks, or dries and doesn't turn out well, you can still use it for tying.

If you do a great job, a deer hide is the best blanket in the world.

Really? I wouldn't have imagined it'd be a good blanket.

I recommend talking to Steve Sywensky at Flyfishers Paradise in State College.

He really knows materials, from tying large quantities of flies for the shop for many decades.

Tell him what kind of flies you are tying, and he'll pick out the ideal deer hair for that, and ship it to you.

This place knows deer hair.

http://www.whitetailflytieing.com/

Thanks troutbert, I don't know why I didn't think of that. I order by mail from them a few times a year. I'll check that link lineman, thanks.

Try a local taxidermist in the fall, when they get a mount they usually cut off the bottom of the cape. I got a piece about 3ft by 9in free.

Not deer but elk. Always good stuff. Good Luck!

http://www.blue-ribbon-flies.com/shop/category/fly_tying_materials/hair/

I dried a chunk of deer hide this past fall from the doe I shot and use it from time to time. The hair is thinner and more spindly compared to the stuff you purchase, but it does work.

I did the same with 2 squirrel hides.

Id be happy to share some how to info if youd like.

watch what parts of the hide you get, not all will spin well

Got a patch of Antelope at the FF show at Lancaster. Its about twice as thick as typical deer hair, and more hollow. I've found it really good for spinning. Making wings is a bit tricky though cause it's more brittle, but a thread like UTC helps prevent breakage.

Back