Deer Hair Wing problems

T

troutbert

I'm having problems with deer hair wings on elk hair caddis and Stimulators. The wing is getting thinned out pretty quickly when fishing the fly.

The hair is either pulling out, or breaking off. Maybe the thread is cutting through the hair?

Any suggestions? Either tying techniques, or maybe choice of types of hair? Is some hair just brittle and breaks off easily?

throw a gathering wrap around the wing prior to tying it in. Also, unless you need the extra flotation, elk generally works better than deer, as it's not as hollow and won't flare and cut as easily.

Hey 'bert - Hope all is well with you.

By far the easiest, and most secure way to tie in hair for a downwing is demonstrated in this video:

For tying in a wing on a comparadun, I tie it in with the tips forward, holding the butts in my left hand (right handed tyer). Make the first wrap where you want the wing to be positioned, but make it somewhat loose, so the hair doesn't flare too much. Make each successive wrap to the rear, with increasing tension. After 6 wraps or so, lift up the butts and clip them at a 45 degree angle. Secure the remaining stubs, and you're good.

I start dubbing the body at the tail tie in point, and wrap up to the wing, stopping one dubbing wrap behind the wing. Take a halfhitch tool, and insert it over the hook eye, creasing the wing back until it stands up on its own. Finish the one wrap of dubbing behind the wing, and then put the next wrap of dubbed thread up tight to the front of the wing, and finish the front part. After you whip finish, the hair can be fanned out 180 degrees by just pulling, and spreading it around with your fingers.

This technique results in a wing that stays upright, and doesn't fall to the back or front. No cement required for a fly that is very durable.

H.A.

Good info here! Why to go guys!!

JH

Back