Debarbing hooks

T

tctrout

I am an advocate when it comes to both catch & release fishing and barbless hooks. I purchase hooks that have barbs, though I always debarb prior to tying nearly all of the time. In my newest YouTube tutorial, I explain the two methods I use, which are based upon the style of vise you use.

TC

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wMYyWz3QYY[/youtube]

we need an 8 minute video for, "squeeze with pliers?"

i just buy barbless hooks

Hi Tim,

While well intentioned, I have to point out a mistake you're making with the Renzetti part of your tutorial.

You tighten the jaws so the cam lever is up tight to the jaw arm, and this can lead to damaged jaws, and slipping hooks.

Look at the rear of the jaws - when tightened as you show, the rear of the jaws are as far apart as they can be and this puts unnecessary pressure on the tips of the jaws.

Ideally, you want the jaw halves to wind up as parallel as possible once tightened. This gives the maximum contact with the hook, and keeps the pressure even along the jaw tips.

The hook should be positioned so that there is one hook wire width minimum between the hook and the jaw tips as well. Again, this keeps the jaws from being damaged.

The correct way to place a hook in Renzetti cam jaws is to rotate the cam lever as far away from the arm as possible, insert the hook to the proper depth as I described above while tightening the screw adjuster on the jaw tip so the hook stops at the depth you want, and then tighten the cam lever.

The lever should wind up roughly in-line with the jaws. The lever should NEVER be rotated past parallel with the arm (see your instruction sheet that came with the vise). Very little force is needed to lock the hook in place securely. If your cam lever won't stay where you put it prior to inserting the hook (as your appears to do), you need a new o-ring for the jaws. They're available at Home Depot (#19 o-ring) or from Renzetti directly.

I hope this helps you and all the other Renzetti owners that may see this video and thread.

...or you could use a pliers.

Heritage,

I appreciate the feedback and information you provided for Renzetti owners. You are absolutely correct in regards to the cam lever, which should go no further than approximately 90 degrees when locked with a hook in the vise.

Being that the Renzetti is an older vise of mine that I no longer use, I have neglected to replace the o-ring. The purpose of showing a Renzetti vise was to explain the debarbing procedure I use with that style.

Thanks for pointing that out, and here is a link to a Renzetti informational sheet that explains the proper mechanics of the vise (including diagrams). For the section related to this thread, scroll to the second page.

http://www.renzetti.com/images//PDF/P_2002_Customer_Instructions.PDF

Thanks for continuing the discussion, with my overall goal of the video being to encourage catch-and-release fishing with the use of barbless hooks. Though I understand that everyone may not be there, this video may hopefully prod those individuals to debarb and purchase barbless in the future. Plus, how could I resist not sharing the story of my Uncle John and the Light Cahill!?! :)

TC

Heritage-Angler wrote:

Ideally, you want the jaw halves to wind up as parallel as possible once tightened. This gives the maximum contact with the hook, and keeps the pressure even along the jaw tips.

The hook should be positioned so that there is one hook wire width minimum between the hook and the jaw tips as well. Again, this keeps the jaws from being damaged.

The lever should wind up roughly in-line with the jaws. The lever should NEVER be rotated past parallel with the arm (see your instruction sheet that came with the vise). Very little force is needed to lock the hook in place securely. If your cam lever won't stay where you put it prior to inserting the hook (as your appears to do), you need a new o-ring for the jaws. They're available at Home Depot (#19 o-ring) or from Renzetti directly.

Of all the studies done, none have indicated that barbless hooks save fish, it's all in the handling of the fish and have it's played that makes the biggest difference.
I crush my hooks with forceps.

Back