Dave K.....Site is so S-L-O-W!

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
Dave,

The site has been progressively getting slower, and the last few weeks have been excruciatingly slow. I check in at all times of day and night, and see no pattern. It was slow today at 5:30 am Sunday morning, so I doubt it is an issue of busy servers at Go Daddy. Also few other PAFFers were logged into the site. My computer works well with all other Internet sites and functions, and I am connected with FIOS. I deleted my cookies and temp files too, but that hasn’t helped. I’ve been bumped out many times lately waiting for the next thread to load, or submitting a post. I now open another window when to work on something else while waiting for the site to load.

We seem to be headed for the same fate as in August / September 2006 when you had to reinstall the site. I have a theory, but keep in mind I have no knowledge of how the site works or is set up. Is it possible that all the archived photos, posts and stream reports as they accumulate, slow down the site? When you reinstalled the site last time and dumped all the archived files, the site immediately ran faster, yet the server connection from the provider (Go Daddy) didn't change - at least to my knowledge.

Like I said, I am no expert and can only give you the symptoms. What’s your diagnosis….….What’s the prognosis?………What’s up Doc?!?

Thanks for your help Dave, I know it's a PITA.

I have been patient to bring this up too, but I have experienced the same, although for me it has only been one week. I am moving this thread, however, to the Site Comments forum, which is where this belongs. Dave checks that forum regularly.

I agree, it way too slow. I find i'm not spending as much time on the site because of it.

Me too, I've been timed out a good bit!

This site slow. I posted back on 3.21 that it was running extremely slow. That is when i experienced it going downhill quick. I am computer savy, and keep my machines up to dates, and in top-shape - - - so you can't chaulk it up to that. I am glad to see others have begun to take notice and that it is not just me that the site load time (if it even loads at all) is excruciatingly slow.

I too, am finding it harder and harder to use this site - I'm always getting " page cannot be displayed" while waiting for it to load. Thought it might be my computer, but everyone seems to be in the same boat.

Dave,

I saw your sticky post. Thanks for working to sort this out.

The joy in using this site quickly evaporates when you have to wait through two timeouts before the thread will load.

Like all of the others, I have spent less time on the site. Matter of fact, the log on was so slow tonight that after making this post, I am heading elsewhere on the web. This is one of my favorite sites, so I hope there is a way to sort the problems out.

JG

I love this site too, but because it takes longer to load the pages I end up spending more time here, than if the site was moving fast. :)

Just kiddin,
I find myself logging off and trying again later. Usually this works, but recently, a ton of refreshing pages, double post, and time outs. This makes me log off and not come back as often.

I really don't want to complain, but it is getting pretty bad. I like to read all new threads every morning, but now I just go to the ones that look to be the most interesting. I used to get fully caught up over morning coffee, but now I usually get two or three threads and a post or two in before I've got to get to work.

I've brought this up before, but I would gladly send donations if it would help to accomplish anything. I'm sure others would as well.

I too was having problems and I found a sort of fix that may or may not help...

I use Mozilla not IE...but...I opened IE and cleared the temp internet files and the browsing history. (not sure why it accumulates since I don;t use IE but it does) Anyway, after taking a long time to delete the browsing history within IE, I reopened Foxfire and this site sped up considerably. Just my 2cents.

The site is flying for me now. Quick page loads and no time outs so far for the past half hour. Notice the number of new posts occuring in the last hour or so?

Definately a server hosting problem. I also dont really look at all the threads or topic, because its unbearable. After waitying 2 minutes for a page to load only for it to time out blank. Not sure what is going to be done, but i have tons of fast bandwidth and tons of space for teh needs of this site on various of web hosting providers, as its what i do. So if it can be of use, id be glad to help.

Back