Dark wild brown in a Brookie stream

Hmmm.... Interesting. I was thinking it may be the rare cousin to the tiger and leopard trout, the panther trout? (Similar to the rare dark Nittany Lion shown below)
54DDA0DA-E428-4FCF-86BF-008539FAE09C_zpsi0up7gaw.png
[/url][/img]

McSneek wrote:
I believe the fish in the OP is a very rare browgemmie. Seldom seen, this strain of fish fell off the evolutionary chain and took up residence in our mountain streams with their little cousin, the brook trout aka gemmie. Similar in size, appearance and taste to a brook trout the browgemmie can stir up debate on an Internet forum as well as any other salmonoid.

I think you are mistaken, I believe its a gembrown. This strain of trout hails from Cleveland. Its known for its ability to make fast runs and go right through other fish. Some say that gembrown was the greatest of all time.

Very interesting what mike says about blind fish... makes sense!

Ya but since gembrown, the only thing making fast runs in Cleveland is the fans leaving at halftime.

LOL. Very interesting and unusual coloration. Thanks for sharing.

I've caught a few brown trout that were very dark, almost black. They've always been where they were in deep shade and deep holes. It how they camouflage themselves. It's always an interesting encounter and not expect.

Very neat trout thanks for sharing! I've caught very dark brookies but never a brown that dark.

Back