Dark Dun Caddis

T

troutbert

http://www.troutnut.com/hatch/2933/Caddisfly-Psilotreta-Dark-Blue-Sedges

Do you see this caddis much and have you found it to be a productive hatch for fishing?

I was up in the Kettle Creek drainage fishing a small tributary, then late in the day I drove along Kettle Creek past Cross Fork and the special regs area and Oleona, and there were lots of these flying around. But I was headed home and didn't stop to see if they produced an evening rise.

I've also seen a lot at this time of year on the First Fork Sinnemahoning.

I have no experience with those streams, but Psilotreta are a big item on the Beaverkill this week. In past years I've seen them hatch and oviposit in such numbers as to literally blot out the sky. You don't dare to breathe with your mouth open when that happens. I have had some success with imitations, but their emergence coincides with the end of the March Brown and Gray Foxes as well as the onset of the Green Drakes, Isonychias and various big and small Sulfurs. So both the trouts and I usually concentrate on the Mayflies (which are also light colored, bigger and a whole lot easier to see, especially at the end of the daylight). Not to mention a horde of various tan caddisses, Yellow and Lime Sallies, and others.

Back