"Dapping the undercuts"

When the need presents itself, I'll do it every time. I call it tule-dipping but that may be an incorrect description. Nothing wrong with it. The object is to catch the fish after all.
My favorite form is when you can sneak up close enough to a fish rising just off the bank and hold your rod out with your dry suspended 2 or 3 inches above the water and watch the fish try and catch it in mid air. They have all done this multiple times until caught or spooked.

Squaretail wrote:
My favorite form is when you can sneak up close enough to a fish rising just off the bank and hold your rod out with your dry suspended 2 or 3 inches above the water and watch the fish try and catch it in mid air. They have all done this multiple times until caught or spooked.

LOL, this actually sounds like fun.

Using a 13' Tenkara Rod and this method on a creek is almost too easy.

A variant of this is on bigger water when you have large rocks/boulders mid stream. Fishing the other side while standing in the water is just as stealth. My largest fish to date was caught just that way.

Squaretail wrote:
When the need presents itself, I'll do it every time. I call it tule-dipping but that may be an incorrect description. Nothing wrong with it. The object is to catch the fish after all.

Haha, I had this happen once, but it was not on purpoulus. Fishing a local stream, there was a fish rising on the opposite bank behind a small tree branch. Of course my first cast to him had my Cdc and elk get caught in the branch about a foot off the water. Fish jumped up and grabbed it and could not get off. Had to cross the stream and release the fish from the branch.

Lol that's insane Becker!

Teaching our children, one word at a time.

wgmiller wrote:
Does anyone else "dap" the undercuts of streams and get the sh** scared out of them when a fish bumrushes the fly? While not purist fly fishing, there is something very alluring about dropping a weighted fly alongside the undercuts of a stream and waiting for the strike!

It's called jigging, and there is nothing wrong with it.;-)

"Dapping" sounds so much more PC for fly fishing... You know, the same as we don't use bobbers; we use "strike indicators"! :-D

Shane, I once about 20 years ago has a small brown take my dryfly on Spruce Creek, on his first jump he went over a limb of a deadfall and I had to cross the creek to go get him off the hook. He was hanging in mid air because the line got caught on a burr or bark notch.

Weird.

"Haha, I had this happen once, but it was not on purpoulus. Fishing a local stream, there was a fish rising on the opposite bank behind a small tree branch. Of course my first cast to him had my Cdc and elk get caught in the branch about a foot off the water. Fish jumped up and grabbed it and could not get off. Had to cross the stream and release the fish from the branch."

We call that "tea bagging"

Did it yesterday with no shame. Had a fish on but lost it because I ripped the hook out...because...I got the s*** scared out of me.

As long as you don't have a hotdog/corn on your hook. You're all good.

Works especially well on valley creek with terrestrials midday when nothing is biting. Wrap some weighted wire around the shank for an extra "plop" can really induce a strike. Can't wait till the heat of the summer to do this.

Back