DanVise vs Griffin Odyssey Spider

• Thread starter blackandgold4ever05
  • Start date
blackandgold4ever05

blackandgold4ever05

Wondering which one I should get? Looked at both at my local fly shop. They are same price. Leaning towards the DanVise so far, but the griffin is American made... Any input would be appreciated! Thanks

No experience with the Danvise, but I love my Griffin, it's a great tool for the money.

I would advise you to test each one out. Your local fly shop should let you do this. Tie a fly on each. Who knows you might not like either.

I have the Danvise and really enjoy it but have tied on the Spider and enjoyed that as well. I had a problem with one of the adjusting screws and contacted the company and they sent me the screw at no charge! Great service for such a reasonably priced vise.
You won't go wrong with either, IMO.

I just replaced my Danvise which I tied on for 3 years with a Renzetti Traveller, obviously the Traveller is a nicer vise but the Danvise can do everything the Renzetti can. I would go with the Danvise.

After more research, leaning heavily towards the griffin. Seems easier to tie tiny flies. It's also made is USA with lifetime guarantee!

Make sure you look the Griffin over before you buy. I tried both a few weeks ago and the Griffin I had was impossible to use. The jaws were uneven, and there was a lot of slop in the joints. The latter problem was caused by loose screws, but I didn't have a hex key handy to tighten the. I went with the Danvise for a travel vise and have tied a couple dozen flys down to size 20 and couldn't be happier. I'm sure the Griffin is quite nice if you get a good one, but the uneven jaws on the one I saw were a deal breaker.

i have the griffin.

its a fine vise to use, the jaws were fine. it does require a hex key, and one does come with the unit.

i found myself unhappy with the o-ring solution at first however in hindsight i found it to be better on the rare chance it would break in an inopportune moment as you could find a rubber o ring alot easier than a proprietary spring.

i'd still use it, but i found no love in rotary tying and preferred the no hassle regal method.

the danvise and this one are basically the same in quality and use, so if there's a feature you like better then go for it. if made in america is that reason, so be it. you won't be dissatisfied any more, or less, than the danvise.

Thanks guys! I'm pretty sure I'm goin with the Griffin for the warranty and made in USA.

I have owned a Danvise for about 6 years now and have enjoyed it very much. My only complaint is that the jaws are a little soft and at this point they are not holding small hooks as well as they did. I knew this going into the purchase and have tied several thousand files on the thing. So imo it was worth the 80 bucks.

I have a DanVise also and my only piece of advise if you get one is to learn to properly use the cam jaws. I've screwed mine up by cranking too hard and need new jaws now.

Overall I'm very pleased with my vise. I think I paid $50 for it on ebay with a pedistal base. I've tied all kinds of flies on it and love the rotary function.

The DanVise is the most uncomfortable vise i have ever tied on
poorly laid out and crowded

Ramcatt wrote:
The DanVise is the most uncomfortable vise i have ever tied on
poorly laid out and crowded

I kinda thought that would be the case especially on tiny flies. Thanks again everyone. I'm decided on the griffin.

Just talked to my gf and she almost has me talked into the oddessey with cam jaw. What do you guys think? Is the cam lock and that vise worth the extra money? And also it's around $150, is there a better vise out there for that kind of money? Thanks

Just an update. After many reviews read, I actually decided on the Peak rotary vise. Can't wait til Christmas! Thanks for the input everyone.

The jaws on the Dan Vise are way to soft. They replaced a set for me but it didn't take long before they spread too.
I like the look of the Atlas Anvil. It's built like a tank.

PoconoPuke wrote:
The jaws on the Dan Vise are way to soft. They replaced a set for me but it didn't take long before they spread too.
I like the look of the Atlas Anvil. It's built like a tank.
I researched this a bit before buying the Danvise. Delrin is not a soft material, but it is certainly softer than most steels. While this means that you can deform the jaws, it also means that the material has a bit of give, so that it can hold the hook more securely at lower clamping pressure. So as long as you follow the setup procedure when installing the hook it is held securely at clamping pressures that are well within the acceptable range for the material. It is clearly not for everyone (no vise is) and I wouldn't trade my NorVise for it, but as a second vise I really like it. I am going to buy the Jvise next year, so the Danvise will likely then become my third favorite. It never ends...

Love the Peak vise. I don't have one single compliant with it but maybe one nit. If you're thinking of using a thick hook, over size 4 or so you'll want the saltwater head.

I don't tie bigger than a size 8 and usually not smaller than a 22 at this point. I will get the other jaws down the road if need be. Thanks guys. Can't wait til Christmas to get my Peak vise!

Back