Danville Chenille Co

N

Nocktavius

Does anybody have an in at Danville Chenille? Their website says to call or email to order but nobody ever picks up the phone. Down to the last 2-3 yards of the secret sauce here.

hmmmm Dennis at FFP in state college told me a little while ago that items- thread, chenille have been on long backorder and they weren't getting updates. Sounds funny/concerning.

Finally got through to somebody on the phone. Sounds like they’re not taking any new customers and are more than a year behind on orders. Sometimes it seems like I’d be better off just hanging up the fly rod and buying a bunch of rapalas

I searched "fly tying chenille" and a bunch of sources came up. For example:

And compared to Danville it’s all trash
you are correct there is a difference, and more than some realize. I buy mine from FFP and I am satisfied with what they have. For colors/styles FFP doesn't carry, I have purchased from JS Stockard. The only thing is, and this is not their fault, its the US postal service- Two times I ordered from them (CT), USP sent it from CT to MA to Portland Oregon (yes, that Portland) and back to PA. Another time it went through St Louis before coming back to me. Some supple chain management huh. No wonder the UPS is a mess and bleeding money, well its the unsustainable pension system mostly but this does not help. And to think some people want the gov to run more things

Does anybody have an in at Danville Chenille? Their website says to call or email to order but nobody ever picks up the phone. Down to the last 2-3 yards of the secret sauce here.

i dont believe they sell retail, just wholesale to dealers

I'm not as fussy about my chenille and use whatever brand I find in the correct color, which most often is Wapsi.

However more than a few retailers are showing Danville chenille as IN STOCK on their websites so a few phone call may be in order.

Another thing, I rarely have less than 6 packages of stuff I use often because it never seems to be around when I would need it if I bought less...

i dont believe they sell retail, just wholesale to dealers

From Danville's website page regarding chenille:

"The Chenille is sold by the gross (144 yards). Most of it comes in skeins. We do not sell it on cards or in small packages. In Size 00 you will receive one skein for one gross (it is two 72 yard skeins twisted together). In Sizes 0 through 8 you will receive two 72 yard skeins for one gross. In Sizes 10 and 12 you will receive four 36 yard skeins for one gross.
Some of the Chenille can be purchased on spools at an additional cost and a minimum order requirement of 5 gross per size and color. In Sizes 00 through 2 there is one gross on a spool (144 yards). In Size 3 you will receive two spools for one gross (72 yards on each spool). Spooled Chenille is not available in sizes larger than 3."
That's a LOT of chenille if ya' need a few colors...!! ;)

I’ve bought chenille, and a number of other items, from a woman in PA who sells on eBay. Her user name there, and on Facebook too is: Ladyflyteir. I don’t know if she has her own website. Her prices are very fair, she has exceptional service, and equally important her product quality is very good. (You don’t get a 100% positive feedback rating on over 20,000 transactions otherwise).

I just looked at one of her chenille items on eBay which she claims is better than Danville’s. For a couple bucks, I’d try it and let the fish be the impartial judge.

i still dont believe they sell retail

no store on their website

Some of the Chenille can be purchased on spools at an additional cost and a minimum order requirement of 5 gross per size and color.

thats a lot of chenille for a dozen woolly buggers

1 gross = 144 yard

i still dont believe they sell retail

no store on their website

Some of the Chenille can be purchased on spools at an additional cost and a minimum order requirement of 5 gross per size and color.

thats a lot of chenille for a dozen woolly buggers

1 gross = 144 yard
I use a specific color combination for stoneflies that I believe works better than anything sold by the large retailers. Call it superstition but in my hands, it just absolutely murders fish. 144 yards isn’t actually all that much if you tie commercially or lose 12+ anchor flies per trip. I’d gladly buy multiple skeins of this specific material if I could custom order them, especially since a skein is only like 15$.

Unfortunately it sounds like Danville is just the latest victim to the increased demand in the sport. A cottage industry in small town New Hampshire that makes things the old way, trying to compete with the likes of Wapsi, Hareline, and the other big names out there.

There definitely was a time not so long ago that you could call and order directly from them.

Back