Danielsson L5W 8twelve reel review

dennisl

dennisl

I've had this reel for a few weeks now and have fished it a few times. Cost me $250 shipped from Sweden. Arrived in about a week.

It's definitely on the heavier side, but comparable to an equivalent Tibor or Hatch. Very sturdy and well-built. The drag is strong and goes from basically free-spool to full drag in about a turn of the drag knob, which has a clear min and max setting. The min amount of drag can be further adjusted by taking off the drag knob and turning a smaller knob on the inside. The drag is allegedly waterproof. Danielsson recommends just rinsing the reel after saltwater use, no need to disassemble. Time will tell.

I loaded a WF9 intermediate line and almost 300 yards of #30 dacron backing onto the reel. Way more than I'll ever need fishing in the northeast. Should've probably gone one size down to the 6nine model.

The one downside which I'm actually finding quite annoying is that the reel tends to spin when casting, so it retrieves line. After 20 or so casts I'd estimate that around 10 feet of line has been retrieved back onto the spool. I asked Danielsson about it and they said it's a known problem that they don't have a solution for. I think there's not enough resistance in the incoming retrieve direction. If you spin the reel, it will spin freely for several revolutions. Other reels I have don't do this. It's not a big deal for me, but if you use the amount of line you have out to make very precise casts it might be a dealbreaker. Danielsson said all their sealed drag reels have this issue.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Attachments

• IMG_6899.jpg
    IMG_6899.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_6901.jpg
    IMG_6901.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_6903.jpg
    IMG_6903.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_6905.jpg
    IMG_6905.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_6907.jpg
    IMG_6907.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_6898.jpg
    IMG_6898.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 63
Great value in fly reels. My only criticism is they are overly wide for good line management when reeling in as you have to be aware of the line stacking to one side. A narrow spool make thus easier. One of the best reels for the money.

Back