damsels and dragons on the Susky

B

Brownout

I have seen some of the biggest smallmouth in the Susky launch themselves for either damsels or dragons, not sure which. Does anyone have any experience with these two insects on the Susky, and what sizes and stages of these insects make for the most productive fishing for smallies? I just hope the channels and carp stay away, I'm not looking to fight something for 10-20 minutes that isn't a 6lb bronze back, haha. :lol:

Those channel cats are beasts, I hooked into one on a white marabou during the white hatch, and it was like fighting Moby ****, it honestly must have taken 20 minutes to fight it with 3x. Was probably around 20lbs, there are super tankers in there, they probably eat live smallmouth, suckers, fall fish, and chub. I landed one on a musky rod that hit a floating jointed 7 inch creek chub on the surface, and two others on a huge shad rap rapala.

I have fished damsel and dragon fly nymphs for several years. I have tied adults but only caught a few on those. The nymphs are deadly though.

On the Susky, ponds, lakes? I searched and found some ties in the forum, I am guessing these bass are attacking one of the two, wonder if olive buggers imitate them sufficiently.

I fished them mostly in lakes but I'm sure the shallow slower parts of the Susky would be good. Put dumbell eyes on teh bugger and clip the tail short for dragon flies. Smaller buggers with skinny tail for damsel.

I've seen smallies on Lycoming Creek lauch to grab damsels and dragons.

Instead of a bugger use a wooly worm for a generic pattern. Or tie something more specific.

Back