Dai Riki hooks

F

flyfisherkshcrk

After seeing many complaints of Dai Riki hooks having poor quality, I started to wonder why Tim Flager of Tightline productions uses them?

I've noticed that a lot of tiers online use Dai Riki
Im assuming it is because of there selection / price?

This goes back a ways, maybe up to 10 years...

I have a friend who was in the biz and was able to buy Dai-Rikis in moderate size lots from another mutual friend was also (and still is..) in the biz.

I got a bunch of the 300's or maybe it was the 305's, dry fly hooks anyway.., from him and they had a high percentage of brittle hooks and you had to be really careful when pinching down the barb lest the whole thing snapped halfway up the bend.

At the time, my buddy told me the problem had to do with Dai-Riki shifting the manufacturing origin of these hooks from Japan to Korea. Any of you who've worked in manufacturing and were involved in the outsourcing of a product line to a new vendor or new facility know that this sort of thing happens quite a bit. It often takes a while for the new source to learn all the nuances of the process and work out the kinks. Anyway.... At the time, Dai-Riki took corrective steps and the next batch I got were fine and no longer had the problem.

But like I say, all this took place a while back. Do Dai-Riki hooks still have a reputation for poor quality?

I use dai-rikkis for all my nymphs. Never had a problem. I wouldnt reccomend them for dry fly hooks, as they are known to bend and break. Tiemco has really good dry fly hooks.

Thanks for your input..I guess I will have to try some out.

I use Dai-riki for pretty much all my midges...sizes 18-24 simply because the price is right and they seem to be fair enough quality.

I believe Dai-Riki makes Orvis "Big Eye" hooks. I use them in size 18 to 26 and have never had any problems. I really like the smaller sizes(22 to 26).

WildTigerTrout wrote:
I believe Dai-Riki makes Orvis "Big Eye" hooks. I use them in size 18 to 26 and have never had any problems. I really like the smaller sizes(22 to 26).

WWT
No Daiichi makes them they are the 1100 down eye or 1110 straight eye. More reasonable than purchasing from orvis.

CRB wrote:
WildTigerTrout wrote:

WWT
No Daiichi makes them they are the 1100 down eye or 1110 straight eye. More reasonable than purchasing from orvis.
Thanks for the info. WTT

Mine are from Canada, probably a knockoff brand. At their prices, I don't ask questions.

Back