Dace Thread

This was a wonderful video. Very insightful and neat. Really pays respect to Japanese master rod builders and anglers. The Japanese can make anything cool I swear haha!

I was curious if those floats could be used for strike indicators for a fly rod, but I'd be too scared to use such a thing because I might toss it into a tree. I really enjoyed the craftmanship that is put into these rods, seems to be way more than even a US custom designer would be willing to do.

I wonder if I could take the tip off of a lighter rod and just use that to microfish with. I would attempt Edo-style at Hopewell lake where the average bluegill is fairly small.

I was fascinated with the "kits"/ boxes and rods that they used in the video and was seriously considering getting a rod and/or a box until I saw how expensive they were.

I buy a lot of fishing tackle from the Japanese Domestic Market (JDM) and American fly fishermen have nothing over Japanese conventional anglers when it comes to expensive tackle...

As far as the floats go, I have some quill & balsa floats that they use for Tanago fishing which are VERY sensitive but the way they attach to the line makes them VERY snag prone for anything other that a short lob like they use when fishing those canals.

For that reason I adapted the Pompano floats I use for micro fishing. The Pompano floats would work just fine with a fly rod although you would have to thread your leader though the hole in the center and peg it or use a bobber stop of some type.

Something that would work well for American fly fishing is the "marker" yarn Tanago & Keiryu anglers use on their lines so they can detect subtle sideways movement when a tiny fish takes their bait or fly. Because the fishing line is so thin, they will tie tiny pieces of florescent colored "marker" yard to their line.

This marker yarn (if you can find it) or a substitute would work great for a sighter when Euro nymphing.

You can read about how it is used here.

I got me a dandy just yesterday. barbless hook slips right out.
PXL 20230617 182416254

Too big (even though it ain't a dace)... :)

BTW - This one went airborne.

Attachments

• Giant Trout.jpg
    Giant Trout.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 22
Speaking of hatchery feeding, look what I found on Sunday on a mountain stream. I guess I was trespassing but honestly wasn't aware of this. There were signs of "walk-in fishing" allowed but then I hit an area that was a club or something. I hooked into a 20" bow that came flying out of the water and snapped my 6x tippet. Go figure.
PXL 20230618 152741577

Back