Czech nymphing

Advantage to that Gary is it cuts the water better-slim,weighted which is a big help in short lining .
Saw some Eastern block tackle in the eighties.
Most used crude single action reels for all fishing-sad but they didn't know it-bells were popular as it was fashionable not to watch your rod bait fishing.
Algae off the walls for bait-lol

jayL wrote:
My understanding is that 1) what sender said is the case, and 2) the streams in eastern europe kind of suck, so super specialized methods were necessary to cover water and find active fish.

The european "teams" used the methods in competitions because it's what they knew. Since money follows competition, someone saw these new, somewhat mysterious, and certainly effective methods, and decided to turn them into profit.

The result is that we hear all about it now.

I fished with the "banjo minnow" for years, without buying the "system". I am doing the same with this euro nymphing stuff.

Jay -

From my understanding your point (2) is correct. The European nymphing techniques were designed to catch grayling which are bottom hugging fish that can be very difficult to catch. Also a lot of the European streams were or are not fertile waters and trout and grayling fish densities are not very high.

These specialized techniques were developed to help catch tight lipped fish on waters that where pressured heavily with anglers.

European nymphing always seemed to be very similar to short line high sticking to me. Difference is weighted flies, which was by no means new. Everyone knew it was effective, but we use shot out of convenience. Quicker, and don't have to carry as many flies. I mean, I can just have a pheasant tail, I don't need a light, medium, heavy, and super heavy version! In comps, they are not allowed to use shot, but can carry all the flies they want, hence the specialization.

Nonetheless, rolling the bottom with weight is the key characteristic, and its been done for years....

As afish pointed out, the Brooks method is quite a bit different from Czech nymphing. I've spent some time with that book and on the stream trying to learn this tactic, and it is most certainly not the same thing.

It would appear the short lines are needed more because of all the kayaker's and canoe'ers than anything else.
Saw a show where boating is the national craze on their rivers-constant stream of them.:}

If we need to give "credit" to someone for inventing this style nymphing , we can probably give it to Skues.

pete41 wrote:
Just googled it up and read about.
Had to laugh
Exactly the style Charles Brooks wrote about more than 30 years ago.
He fished Yellowstone Park mostly-
Don't know if you can find his book but you will realize he was years ahead of the craze.
Nymph Fishing For Larger Trout - Charles E. Brooks

nicholasangelo.com/dynapage/IP7892.htm - Cached
that was his masterpiece.

It's all been done before and frgotten, It's just another way to sell more fishing rods and equipment.

Back