Czech nymphing

pete41

pete41

Just googled it up and read about.
Had to laugh
Exactly the style Charles Brooks wrote about more than 30 years ago.
He fished Yellowstone Park mostly-
Don't know if you can find his book but you will realize he was years ahead of the craze.
Nymph Fishing For Larger Trout - Charles E. Brooks

nicholasangelo.com/dynapage/IP7892.htm - Cached
that was his masterpiece.

That seems to happen more than you think , last year i read an article in a mag where someone said about the Clouser Minnow , "Bob Clouser has re-invented the bucktail jig" where if you look at it , swap the bar bell lead eyes for a weighted jig hook and that is pretty much what it is only a hundred years apart. No offense to Bob , he is a great guy and has a great way of seeing things when it comes to fishing and thinking like a fish but bottom line it is pretty close to the same thing.

Bet anything the Czech was"borrowed" from Charlie.
Very deadly but boring way to fish-bait fishing with flies.

Did he use large weighted nymphs? If he did'nt, you know it does not count. hahahaha

short line
short leader
lob cast
large weighted nymphs
no other split shot
no indicator
controlled line
sinking tip
just like the vid I saw.
Google him and his book up-his method was admitted to be the most effective by Bud Lilly and others but lacks charm.

A man ahead of his time.

I don't think he was ahead of his time-think someone got his book-took it to Europe.

pete41 wrote:
short line
short leader
lob cast
large weighted nymphs
no other split shot
no indicator
controlled line
sinking tip
just like the vid I saw.
Google him and his book up-his method was admitted to be the most effective by Bud Lilly and others but lacks charm.

Firstly, I think what you're talking about is Polish nymphing. It is similar but there are a few difference...

-The leader isn't 'short'. It's usually around 9ft.

-Only the anchor fly is a large and weighted. The dropper(s) tend to me more of a normal style nymph.

-No sink tip line. All line used in Euro nymphing is float.

Also, does the 'original' version make use of fully articulate droppers?

Short leader brooks method-length of rod
9 foot[common rod length then] as opposed to 12 to 15 foot experts were pushing at the time.
Read the book if you get a chance-too many similarities to be a coincidence.

Czech or Polish Nymphing
- 2 visits - 7:21am
15 posts - 3 authors - Last post: Nov 26, 2007
We had a book by Charles Brooks pub. in 1976, "Nymph Fishing for Larger .... Czech/Polish nymphing can be done with standard nymph patterns- ...
www.troutpredator.info/nymph-fishing.../czech-or-polish-nymphin
well looks like I am not the only one who spotted this.

So you are suggesting that this is not a product of competitive fishing? Because they are pretty damned convinced that competitive fishing created this style of fishing.

Brooks developed his method in the 60s-published a book in"76".
Myself and others suspect someone got a copy,adopted the style and adapted a few ideas for the european scene and in"86" introduced it into competition.
Why not ?If you were hoping to win what better starting point than
"Nymph fishing for larger trout."
As I mention above when I googled up Czech?polish nymphing and watched the vid-
It was "oh,hell-that's Charlie Brooks way".
By the way,my best ever number/size day trout fishing
was in Mid April in the early 80s,on the Madison south of Ennis,Mt.,using the brooks method.Deadly but lacked something in charm in my opinion.

Joe Humphries also describes this method of nymphing in his book "Trout Tactics" this is the method taught to him by George Harvey. I think that book may have been written before competitive fly fishing was around. It is a very effective way to fish but it IS boring.

Brooks used a sinking line, short leader and weighted flies.

Here is a bunch of descriptions of nymphing methods:

http://www.masterflyfishing.net/nymphingmethods.htm

I would bet some of this stuff has been tried for decades or even centuries by FFers. Ideas are borrowed or even thought of independently. I invented a lot of it myself, and so have all of us I'm sure....lol.

Also, I think that Czech/Polish isolation from the rest of the world pretty much establishes the point that they didn't have access to outside materials.

I mean, nymphing is a lot like dry fly fishing. You use a...

-rod
-reel
-floating line
-leaders
-hook with materials wrapped around them

Of course there is going to be similarities. We're still talking about fly fishing.

google up "did Charles e.Brooks create Czech nymphing"
No-nor did Liesering
both used similar tricks .
Fun to lose one as we spend more time talking about robins,ospreys and other chicks]
google that up-intriguing reading.

My understanding is that 1) what sender said is the case, and 2) the streams in eastern europe kind of suck, so super specialized methods were necessary to cover water and find active fish.

The european "teams" used the methods in competitions because it's what they knew. Since money follows competition, someone saw these new, somewhat mysterious, and certainly effective methods, and decided to turn them into profit.

The result is that we hear all about it now.

I fished with the "banjo minnow" for years, without buying the "system". I am doing the same with this euro nymphing stuff.

jayL wrote:
My understanding is that 1) what sender said is the case, and 2) the streams in eastern europe kind of suck, so super specialized methods were necessary to cover water and find active fish.

The european "teams" used the methods in competitions because it's what they knew. Since money follows competition, someone saw these new, somewhat mysterious, and certainly effective methods, and decided to turn them into profit.

The result is that we hear all about it now.

I fished with the "banjo minnow" for years, without buying the "system". I am doing the same with this euro nymphing stuff.

Who sells the system/profits? Rod makers? That's about the only thing I see that's gonna sell. There does not appear to be a system. More over, it certainly has a DYI feel too it ie bottom roller and vladi flies, homemade coil indicators, etc.

DIY, using these three websites and these two DVDs, of course.

jayL wrote:

Other information:

I had a chat with Aaron Jasper after running into him on a local stream. We'd talked a bit about it, and he'd said in some European countries, you're not allowed to put lead or weight on the line, that any weight had to be in the fly.

First I'd heard of it, but I don't make it a habit ot look this stuff up. It definatly would seem to factor into it as be ing an additional impetus.

Back