Czech Nymphing - Doing it Euro Style

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most entomologist and anglers would agree that trout feed most of the time under water and mastery of nymphing can be a very productive.

Czech Nymphing has been discussed for a while, but recently brought to my attention by Ken Sperry over at Fly Fishing Reporter about this European style of fly fishing. The biggest difference in this method of nymphing is using up to four nymphs 18" to 24" inches off a dropper rig. Very similar to the often used tandem dry fly and emerger rigs used here.

Presentation is very similar to our high sticking a nine foot rod with an an arm outstretched with a very short drift. Strike indicators are often a part of a set-up.

These weighted nymphs are tied with gammarus hooks, lead wires and traditional natural and synthetic materials. Imitations are based on freshwater scud, larvae or swanky coloring in size #10-#12 hooks. Local nymph imitations with some Czech style modifactions would work best. The video below by Johan Klingberg demonstrates tying a proper Czech nymph.

J
Yeah! The big brown drakes are great on the first fork! But as it happened the evening of Memorial Day this year, my buddies and I found ourselves a couple of miles above Wharton fishing to a spinner fall of size 26s! Brown Drakes all over the water but these fish wanted the damn midge sized spinners?! Tweezers anyone?

Last edited:
turkey
Very well written Dave. I always enjoy the blog posts but this one made me miss Potter and Tioga. Wish it wasn't so far away. Ok, I'm gonna go strip some paint myself.

Last edited:
JackM
Sounds like a great trip, thanks for the story.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back