Czech nymph

lv2nymph

lv2nymph

I recently bought some tungsten thread to try out here is a fly I've tried it on. You can really whack on the weight in a small area with this stuff. Great for those of you who do not like beads too much.

rustyorangeczech_zpscc462678.jpg

Hook: Daiichi 1120 #6
Body: Sybai flash nymph dubbing rusty orange
Thorax: Slf spikey squirrel dubbing dark brown
Rib: Ultra wire brown
Back: Siman magic shrimp foil
Weight: Tungsten thread that weighs between a 5/32- 1/8 tungsten bead

Looks really good. I have such problem tying scuds.

Looks very nice. I am not familier with the tungston thread. There are several nymphs for me that I prefer to tie with out a bead.
May I ask where you got it?

GenCon

Very nice.

I've never heard of tungsten thread. Do you use it like thread is normally used or more like lead wire?

Thanks!

That is a great looking tie, Jack. Bet it will fish even better! I had never even heard of tungsten thread either.

Jack is at work so I will answer for him. He got some tungsten wire for me also from Proformance Flies and you do use it like the lead wire. Real cool stuff.

As always looks great Jack, has to sink like a rock

SBecker said:

Looks really good. I have such problem tying scuds.

as do I

Tungsten wire: http://www.performanceflies.com/product-p/tw.htm

Nice nymph. I will have to check out performance flies for the thread.

I wanted to show you all how little of this it takes to get that amount of weight on the hook.
tungstenwire_zps2a403d70.jpg

Joe beat me to posting a link, good man. Like Roger said you work it like wire, but while talking to Kevin ( Performance flies) about this he had said he puts it on a bobbin. I did as well and can't imagine doing it without, at least on the larger flies. I used the "fine" size on this size hook, the other is x fine and it's the size of a hair actually much smaller which would make it ideal for much smaller hooks. One thing I found like thread it builds twist as you wind, so about every dozen or so winds I'd let it hang and unwind. I like this a lot and I'm going to incorporate this into a lot of nymphs. Thanks for the comments, glad you all like the fly.

I hate it.....

Becker... :hammer:

Btw, even though I hate it....have you used this color combo before?

ive used it on caddis pupae that steelhead like maybe slightly lighter on the back end

SBecker wrote:
Btw, even though I hate it....have you used this color combo before?

I have but with other materials. Other than the ultra wire and the SLF dubbing all the materials in this fly are new to me. The other is effective, though nothing earth shattering but took it's share none the less.

More interested in the productivity of the colors. Certain type of stream you prefer it on?

I've fished it mostly on spring creek ( cause it's 10 minutes from my house) and have done well. Also on Penns & the little "J" and did ok. But the amount of time served on the latter two might have something to do with that.

Gotcha thanks

Got out on spring with Roger today for a couple of hours, and gave the new nymph a test run. This guy was the best along with two browns almost as big. Got ten and LLR three. Roger got 12 I think.( might have been more)Of the ten eight where taken on this nymph, and two on the #18 dropper.It was a good test run I think...
rainbow_zps832c0fa0.jpg

Back