Cut off the feet from old waders to make neoprene "socks"?

T

tddeangelo

I have an absolutely ancient pair of all neoprene waders. These were new in the early 1990's.

I'm contemplating lopping off the feet of the waters with maybe 8-9" of extra height above the tops of my wading boots so I can fold them down as "so-half" gravel guards.

I don't see any other use for these old things.

My "worry" is that these were (are...?) waterproof. Might these "socks" simply catch and then hold water? That'd kinda stink....literally and figuratively.

I have some poly sock liners that work great in my wading boots, but the boots are a bit too roomy and of course grit gets in there like there's no tomorrow.

Just looking for ways to get from A to B with what I already have on hand....

this is what i did with my old waders

I did too. I did another better- I made a pair of hip boots out of an old pair of waders that wore out in the crotch

Thanks, guys.

Guess my old 90's waders are getting a new lease on life. At least, part of them.

I might make a mat to stand on at the truck to get in and out of waders out of the rest of those old waders.

I have an absolutely ancient pair of all neoprene waders. These were new in the early 1990's.

I'm contemplating lopping off the feet of the waters with maybe 8-9" of extra height above the tops of my wading boots so I can fold them down as "so-half" gravel guards.

I don't see any other use for these old things.

My "worry" is that these were (are...?) waterproof. Might these "socks" simply catch and then hold water? That'd kinda stink....literally and figuratively.

I have some poly sock liners that work great in my wading boots, but the boots are a bit too roomy and of course grit gets in there like there's no tomorrow.

Just looking for ways to get from A to B with what I already have on hand....
Are you talking about socks for wet wading or socks inside of new waders?

Because IF you mean for wet wading, they absolutely will get wet inside and hold water.

Isn’t that the same as wading socks? Still seems like a good idea at least for wet wading socks.

Isn’t that the same as wading socks? Still seems like a good idea at least for wet wading socks.
Actually some folks use Neoprene socks INSIDE of wader bootees, usually for insulation. I consider those to be wading socks as opposed to Neoprene socks worn on the outside of another sock or a bare foot which I consider as guard socks.

It's like the anglers that call waist high waders wading "pants." To me, wading PANTS are pants you wear inside of your waders when wading, not short waders, but that's me... ;)

First I made a pair of hip boots out of my old waders, but after never using them I cut off the booties for wet wading, and they work great for that. But quite an effort getting them off.

Last edited:
I do this with old pairs of waders. I cut them off just above the gravel guard and after tucking the top under my long pants almost never anything in my boots. I usually still wear a pair of normal socks under them. I also recommend cutting a small slit in the neoprene on each side of the foot to help drain water. Otherwise you’ll be sloshing around a bit after wading

Last edited:
I wet wade using my wading boots with a pair of neoprene wading socks underneath which are not any different from the neoprene booties that you’d cut off your waders. Sure, they get water under them (DUH!) but it’s not so much that its bothersome, plus they keep your feet warmer.

After I cut off the neoprene feet on an old pair of waders I wear the upper part of those old waders in the winter when I’m outside, particularly when I’m shoveling snow. They’re absolutely perfect for that - windproof, waterproof (even with those pinholes that leaked water when I waded with them), breathable, and warm (with just a pair of the same capilene longjohn’s under them that I wear when fishing). I then tuck the bottom of those old waders into my insulated winter bootsr, and often also wear my hooded wading jacket and am good to go!

Back