Custom rod for small creek and smart fish

Peyton

Peyton

I started to make custom rods for fun and wanted to build on to fish my local creek. Casting space is extremely limited, as it's directly underneath powerlines, and one wire has been down for weeks. The opposite bank is very thick overhanging brush, and the fish like to hide under. I currently use a 5wt with a 12' leader, but still, the line hitting the water spooks them. I was thinking that a 9' 3wt would be capable of delivering very small nymphs, streamers, and dries very accurately to the fish. The casting range can go from 15' all the way up to 40'. Does anyone know if this would be an ideal rod for this application or if I should go with something else?

Picture is of the lighter and easier to cast spot.
2B701E5F 2DB4 49C0 AB86 F7EEC1BCED5E

Not sure if I've every heard of a 9' 3 wt but I'm sure they exist and you're talking about a custom rod anyway.

To me it seems like you'd want a shorter rod. For similar streams, I fish a 8' 4 wt. A 7' 6" 4 wt may be good as well. Me personally, I prefer 4 wts over 3 wts no matter how small the stream is.

I know Rodgeeks makes a 8'6" 3wt. I just recently built one. I think that is the closest you are going to find to what you are looking for if you want to build your own.

Attachments

• 321097911_5769244583157134_2473951627691576773_n.jpg
    321097911_5769244583157134_2473951627691576773_n.jpg
    300.3 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
I agree on the line weight. I don't really think going to a lighter line results in less spooking from line. That's on you to figure out the approach and making the right cast. And, pay attention to conditions too. That stream looks low and slow there. It's quite possible that stream, or that particular pool anyway, is just difficult in those conditions and would be better served hitting when it's up and has some color and flow to it.

A HUGE part of consistent success for me is to know where to go in what conditions. I have my low water streams, my high water streams, and plenty of situations where I know, hey, it just rained a bunch, and this stream drops fast and now's the time, but when it gets low for my liking, this other slow dropping stream will just be rounding into form.

As far as rod length, the old adage is use as long as you can get away with. There's no question a shorter rod with a shorter leader is easier to handle in tight conditions. At under 40 feet, a short rod isn't going to limit your casting distance either. That said, what a long rod does do for you is drag control. Keeping the line off the water when there are variable currents.

Given what I see and understand of your situation, I'd probably be in the 8 ft/5 wt range, with a short leader, and try to get in with a dry. If I can't help but spook fish, I'd punt and fish another stream with more gradient, and return to that one when there's a little more flow and color.

I started to make custom rods for fun and wanted to build on to fish my local creek. Casting space is extremely limited, as it's directly underneath powerlines, and one wire has been down for weeks. The opposite bank is very thick overhanging brush, and the fish like to hide under. I currently use a 5wt with a 12' leader, but still, the line hitting the water spooks them. I was thinking that a 9' 3wt would be capable of delivering very small nymphs, streamers, and dries very accurately to the fish. The casting range can go from 15' all the way up to 40'. Does anyone know if this would be an ideal rod for this application or if I should go with something else?

Picture is of the lighter and easier to cast spot.View attachment 1641228473
There are 9' 3wt fly rods available. They won't be cheap (Sage, Powell, Orvis Western Series, Thomas). IF you are bent on getting a new rod, I can put you in touch with someone that can help very reasonably and really puts out an awesome product. That said, PCray is right. I've been playing the small stream game a long time. I wouldn't purchase a new rod just to fish a particular creek or particular stretch of water. You are fighting gin clear water on a bluebird sunny day= No Bueno for wild trout. I'd stick to cloudy days on that creek, and preferably after it has a touch of color. If you have to fish it in the conditions in the picture (A spring creek that is always clear), then you need to modify your approach not replace your equipment.

JP Ross builds some sweet rods for small stream fishing.

The rod blank is a crb color series, $63 because I’m not the best with keeping rods from snapping. I’ve been wanting a light rod for that creek and others like it. As for the flow and clarity, that is higher flow and lower visibility than normal. The fish spook from the fly line almost every cast that gets the fly near them, I thought a thinner line would help. Thanks for all the answers

The splashdown of a 3wt fly line will not be much different than a 5wt line since the diameter of the line up is not significantly lighter.

Before buying a new or custom rod, I suggest try a longer leader to quiet the splashdown close to the fish >

Good luck.

nice. few years ago i bought the wrapper,blanks, cork stock and cork files. and started making my own rods too. its as much fun as tying your own flys. plus the added accomplishment of catching fish on a rod you built. and when one breaks i have the tools to fix it. re wrap eyes etc...my to do list is to have everything set back up in basement and get back to it.

That spot’s gonna be tough no matter how light of a presentation you can make. The fish are probably gonna spook from you just getting into position to cast, before your line ever hits the water. There’s some really good FFers on this site (I am not one of them), and I think nearly all of them would struggle mightily to catch a fish from that spot in low/clear/sunny conditions, no matter what they do.

If you wanna build a rod because it’s fun and you’ll enjoy fishing with it, that’s cool, go for it. But I’d be surprised if just changing the rod and line weight helps you catch fish from that spot, in those conditions. Yeah, a longer leader can help with line slap spooking, but a long leader is a total PITA to fish on streams that small. You often have very little fly line out to help you toss it and turn it over. Plus, maybe with the longer leader you avoid lining the fish you’re casting to, but you inadvertently line the fish that you didn’t see that was sitting a few feet downstream of your target fish, and spook that one, and then he shoots up and spooks all the other ones. Happens to me all the time.

Agree with pcray’s suggestion. Go fish it when it’s up and off color and you can get away with a lot more “sloppiness” and still catch fish. And if cost is a factor, timing conditions is free, as long as you have the patience.

Last edited:
Fish it in the summer and fall with terrestrial patterns that make a plop when they land. Such as beetles, crickets, big ants, inchworms.

That triggers strikes, even on flat water. And you don't have to use fine tippet.

And approach from below and cast upstream. The stream looks wide enough that you could use the stream itself as your casting lane.

You don't need any special fly rod for this. But if you WANT another fly rod, then go for it.

Might I suggest an 8ft. rod in a 3 or 4wt. I have found that 8wt rods are great for smaller creeks where a 9ft rod would be cumbersome. I'd also recommend a glass rod in that configuration as it could land a little softer and is great for roll-casting, which, looking at your spot, is the cast I would look to use there.

I think a nine footer is far too large for that creek.

Longer leader, high and dirty water worked well, caught my biggest Fallfish yet coming in at 17”. Caught it on a small streamer fishing the deeper pool. Maybe next time it will be a large brown trout.
591410E8 EC15 46E3 BFD0 4A2C71D77634
7143FA48 0ADB 4BEB 8A97 9E75D2F2461A

Another thing you can do that is unconventional but works really well on slow water with spooky fish:

Come from upstream going down using a good floating dry like a large elk hair Caddis, beetle or hopper, attached about 12" of tag end tippet to the hook with an Adam's Wet or another wet fly.

Make a short cast. As it drifts down stream keep slowly mending line out the rod tip so it keeps floating directly down stream. Occasionally twitch the fly or give a little skitter motion to it.
These types of flies, the occasional movement is good for imitating them and also means a perfect drag free drift isn't required. If you begin to get drag, skitter the fly and start mending out line. After a long drift skitter it slowly back to you with occasional stops. Let it drift a bit and work your way back up again.

The wet fly helps take fish that aren't looking to rise.

With spooky fish you may only get one long complete drift downstream and back up. Chances are though you will get one to bite before then if you execute it well.

Note:
Some fish want completely drag free drifts so attempt to get one if you can with only occasional motion. Some fish want a lot of motion or skittering, especially with Caddis flies, when working the fly back upstream, this is your chance to give that presentation.

Stifling going to make a 3 weight for creeks like this and panfish, I’ll try that this morning. Yesterday they were rising to the surface, but it was only smaller dace and chubs

Nice Brown. Congrats!

Fallfish was really nice too.

Back