Curious- Any More Swap Rip-Offs?

MD_Gene

MD_Gene

I have participated in a few fly swaps on the Forum. Most have been great! Got a lot of good flies and saw the fly I tied on line in the "swap line-up". But one, perhaps 6 years ago was coordinated by what must have been a kid. Kept all the flies for himself.

I am impressed with Dave's foresight to put disclaimers and advisories in the "rules" section. "Swapper beware". The vast majority of fly fishers I have meet on this board and on streams have been honest and generous. (More than once I have been given flies).

Curious as to any upcoming swaps and if anyone had an experience like the one I described.

I coordinated two on here. Only issue I had was a few participants drop out. I divided up the flies I got evenly and sent to everyone that sent me some. I think it’s a fun way to see some new patterns and learn. I’d participate again.

If I cared that if I sent off 15 flies to someone, I might not get anything back, I wouldn't get involved in a swap that was being administered by someone I didn't trust. All you have to do is search their posts to get a feel for whether they are trustworthy.

yes,there was also a snafu a couple of years ago with a guy claiming he needed help due to his daughter's illness.
a few people donated stuff.
turned out,his daughter really was sick,but,he wasn't really involved in her life.
scams happen now and then,but,we can still be positive people.

Back