Cumberland Valley Marathon

3wt7X

3wt7X

My father in law surprised my wife with a trip to the Kentucky Derby this week. I had several obligations back here in Maryland, so I was unable to go. I took the opportunity with the free afternoons and weekend to tour the Cumberland Valley streams. Here is the rundown of the trip:

Thursday (05/02/2019):
I fished Big Spring. The water conditions were higher than usual, but the stream was gin clear. I saw a fair amount of midges and I was able to nymph up several brookies and a little rainbows on size 20 zebra midges under an indicator. I switched to a sculpin closer to dark, and took a couple nice brookies. I scouted around a good bit and saw very little surface activity. The only trout I witnessed rising were in the ditch and they were tiny.

Friday (05/03/2019):
I fished Yellow Breeches. The water was elevated and it was dangerous to cross in most areas. That stream can be very strong. The clarity was decent, but it certainly had a nice stain to it. Once again, very little in terms of hatches and surface activity. I fished the current seams adjacent to the large sweeping runs, and I did really well nymphing under an indicator. Sucker spawn and Hendrickson nymphs were the hot flies. I also took several on hot spot pheasant tails. Some of the rainbows they put in there are gorgeous fish. I got two of them in the mid teens, and they both could be mistaken for wild Big Spring bows. I also caught a few of the digi browns with the strange markings. Those fish bother me to look at for some reason.

Saturday (05/04/2019)
I fished Falling Springs. The water was bank full and gin clear. Plenty of midges about and some risers were spotted in the normal spots. I had my heart set on streamer fishing today. I had several decent swipes and landed one 14 inch wild bow. I was rained out after only a couple hours on the water.

In all it was a great couple of days. We are extremely blessed to have these types of trout opportunities in PA, so close to home!!! I hope these updates will provide some motivation for some of you to get out. Even with all the rain we've had the limestone streams fish well.

Attachments

• CVf.jpg
    CVf.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 6
  • CVd.jpg
    CVd.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 7
  • CVb.jpg
    CVb.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 7
  • CVe.jpg
    CVe.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 6
  • CVc.jpg
    CVc.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 5
  • CVa.jpg
    CVa.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 7
Are pictures 2,4 or 6 from the breeches?

Pictures 2 and 4 are from the breeches. Picture 6 is from Falling Springs.

Those fish are beautiful! You're right they don't look stocked at all.

It poured at the Kentucky Derby. I hope it didn't rain on your parade too.

Who got the better deal? You or your wife?

Big Spring is my home water and I’d have bet the farm the #2 and 4 came from there. Gorgeous fish.

Back