Culling

now that is what iam talking about! see i think you guys when i talked about catch and release thought i was talking about over stocked fish. this was not so. in fact it was about of wild brook trout populations. i would even like to see some over wild brown trout populations. under maurice's advice i checked out i really pretty stream in york. now i fished the upper end of the creek that is stocked and there were still many wild browns. i caught on nice one and a lot of little guys. it was nice but not real impressive. when i checked out the lower end from advice from maurice, i found a spectacular wild brown trout fishery. they didnot float stock that end of the creek this year and nor should they. there is enough wild trout down there to make a good fishery. that would be a good C&R section.

im not that dumb ohio even if it seems i might be

I only stated that because I was that dumb at one time....would hate to see someone repeat my mistakes. :)

understood. and i wanted to say i respect the fact you dont fish the brookie waters where the fish struggle to create good populations. that is honorable and not enough people do that. :-D

http://www.maine.gov/ifw/fishing/reports/brooktrout.htm

hmmm...maine seems to get it. at it apears they have some data.
read it carefully.
AFLO only C&R and the fishiers are improving. lesson to be learned?

heres another and i like the quote:
Brook trout abundance and size quality has increased on streams that were selected for special regulations similar to those imposed on lakes. These regulations, imposed as Fisheries Initiatives, included catch-and-release and other restrictions intended to preserve and enhance wild brook trout fisheries. Though the number of streams is not large, those included are some of the state's most valuable brook trout resources.

Brook Trout Management Plan For Maine PDF Document

omg another. it seems many states are ELIMINATING harvest to PROTECT wild trout.

Wild Trout Management Plan For Batten Kill PDF Document

heres something else that is interesting.
This is one of the reasons that the DNR is proposing the regulations. It is well documented that larger fish produce more eggs, are less prone to mortality by predators, and are able to consume larger prey. There are studies that indicate creeling larger fish impact the population structure by removing the adults over a certain size and age. As fishermen catch the biggest fish, it becomes increasing detrimental for a fish to grow big. Small fish then multiply more often than larger fish, thus passing on the gene of smallness.

good article brings many points and valid questions:
http://www.times-news.com/outdoors/local_story_162120818.html

wow no comments on any of those articles?

I'll comment:

1. I don't have the time or will to read through 70 pages of material.

2. Brook trout ponds and brook trout streams are apples and oranges.

3. The goal of one of the programs is to arrive at a point where limited harvest can be re-allowed. Why? Because limited harvest does not harm the fishery and satisfies the recreational desires of a large part of the fishing population.

4. The author of the newspaper "letter to the editor" suffers the same affliction as others here suffer: the inability or unwillingness to recognize and respect the interests of the harvesting trout angler.

How was that?

Brook trout abundance and size quality has increased on streams that were selected for special regulations similar to those imposed on lakes. These regulations, imposed as Fisheries Initiatives, included catch-and-release and other restrictions intended to preserve and enhance wild brook trout fisheries. Though the number of streams is not large, those included are some of the state's most valuable brook trout resources.

actually they mention that applying regs to the streams, that they did in the ponds, is working

but if you would have read it you would have seen that :-D \
take note: "limited harvest" and it is less than our five a day.
so i give ya a D on your response.how was that?
cant get the grade if ya dont do the homework!

I stopped doing homework 20 years ago, sonny.

Jack and Sal,
Am I sensing a little hostility carrying over from the little j topic?

No Captain, I believe this is new and different hostility altogether.

HA! well ill do it for you just to play devils advocate.
Possible Consequences: If special regulations are successful in improving fishing quality in streams capable of growing larger-than-average brook trout, there may be an increase in demand, as well as in use-opportunity. These fisheries are expected to attract non-consumptive and trophy anglers and, in doing so, may displace some of the more traditional anglers. Increased demand may also result in crowding and associated degradation of the aesthetic angling experience on some waters.
it seems they argee with you on some points. im am starting to see it too. see jack i told ya im read!

it seems that there are no clear cut ways to evaluate brook trout fisheries. they will say the special regs are working and then turn around and say....
The majority of streams supporting native brook trout populations statewide are biologically unproductive and do not normally produce trout of exceptional size; thus, there is limited potential statewide for creating quality brook trout fisheries through the imposition of restrictive regulations.

i find it interesting. its kind of like we have here. it helps on 50 persent of the streams and not on the others. maybe what we need to do , temporarily, is apply regs to determine which ones it does help. allow those regs to remain in place and the others remove them and work closer on finding out why. (like chaz said :-D ) i do see the point of the harvesting angler a little better now after my reading this weekend. (i dont fish on weekends just week days) i would be on the water now if i didnt have a migraine.
i just worry because the state stocks millions of trout a year and i wonder why it is so important that we have the harvest the wild ones too. i worry that with stream access issues, landowner postings, and harvesting trout....we maybe hurting the waters we do have access to.

p.s jack: if you consider 18 at high school and a 6 year college and 20 years ago. that would put you at 44! :p

JackM wrote:
No Captain, I believe this is new and different hostility altogether.

I stand corrected. You two just keep going, I'll chime in after a bit when it starts to get good. :)

I graduated high school at age 9 and law school at 15. However, I didn't do homework for my last two years of law school, so that puts me at 33, still a few years on you. :cool:

im not sure why jack is hostile towards me, i have absolutly no hostility towards him or his views. everyone is entitled to thier own opinion and on some levels most opinions have some merit.
but hey those little trout gotta have someone yellin for them, im glad to do it, even if i have to face the rath of JACKM! :-D well im almost 30 so not by much! :p

>>p.s jack: if you consider 18 at high school and a 6 year college and 20 years ago. that would put you at 44!>>

You say this as if there's something wrong with it or something awful about it.

Don't you aspire to get there yourself someday?

You should....:)

no dont think that! there is nothing awful about that. heck all the hiking in and ruff terrian i fish my knees feel like they are 120 years old. i aspire to live till i can fish anymore....it will be a sad sad day when that comes!

salvelinusfontinalis wrote:
hey those little trout gotta have someone yellin for them, im glad to do it

I think they should allow brook trout fishing with a cast net. I have a 10 ft Cracker net that would like a break from the salt water.

ok now im speechless. :-D

That way i can keep em alive and use them for Tarpon bait.

Just bustin you Ba*** Sal, like I said before I’m all for properly managing those little beauties. I just don’t go along with the extreme measures.

Back