Crystal flash PT

NewSal

NewSal

So I've been looking online and the only type of "flashback PT" I can find are tied with the crystal flash as only the wingcase.

I bought some crystal flash PT's from a fly shop that had the crystal flash utilized as the wingcase, and the front legs. And let me tell you, it was the hottest fly I have fished this year, had a fantastic outing using that pattern.

Was just curious if most people just use the flash as the wingcase and then use pt fibers for the legs, like I see mostly online sold as "flashback PT", or if some of you use the crystal as the wingcase and legs like the ones I was using.

Salvelinusfontinali wrote:
So I've been looking online and the only type of "flashback PT" I can find are tied with the crystal flash as only the wingcase.

I bought some crystal flash PT's from a fly shop that had the crystal flash utilized as the wingcase, and the front legs. And let me tell you, it was the hottest fly I have fished this year, had a fantastic outing using that pattern.

Was just curious if most people just use the flash as the wingcase and then use pt fibers for the legs, like I see mostly online sold as "flashback PT", or if some of you use the crystal as the wingcase and legs like the ones I was using.

Can you post a picture of the fly?

Sure, it wont be until after I get off work although.

FBPT.jpg

Here it is, this is my last one and it's trash - started to come unwrapped but you get the idea, the wingcase should have a little more crystal on it but like I said this one came unwrapped.

But none-the less you get the idea about utilizing the flash for legs and wingcase.

Is the wing case expoxied? Also, I'm guessing you were having success on Brookies?

No its not epoxied, it kinda looks that way because the crystal is supposed to be completely covering the thorax as a wingcase but it came apart a good bit.

And no, browns on the little j, I haven't had anywhere near the success that Ive had using this pattern with other patterns, was a fantastic day of fishing for me

I never tied any using flash as legs but I generally UV epoxy the wing case. It helps durability. I often tie a variant using some pheasant hackle as legs. I just like the movement of the hackle. I am seeing some patterns where people are using some flash material for the tails. So legs would make sense.

Cool thanks, was just curious if it was a common pattern or not, regardless I'm planning on tying a bunch up whenever I get time.

Thanks

I would tie in as a normal pt, get to the wing case and take three strands and tie them in on top of the hook. Fold them over, take a couple wraps and then split the strands and take a few more wraps sepersting them on the sides. Then use an epoxy or uv to cover it.

Yeah fisherboy, that's how I plan on tying them, same way as a normal PT but instead of pt fibers for wing case/ legs just using the crystal flash now.

Was just curious if it was a known pattern or something not really on the mainstream.

That appears to be copper colored krystal flash or some similar color. I could see that working. At first I thought you meant regular krystal flash.

I tie some of my PT soft hackles with one strand of green holographic flashabou over the top of the abdomen and under the gold or copper rib. They work.

Back