Cross Creek bluegill

B

burghwolfe

Took the day off work today and went to Cross Creek Lake with my float tube and 3 wt. The bluegills were more than happy to keep me busy. Fished from about 9:30 to 3:30 with a break for lunch. I lost track early on, but I must have brought in over 70 bluegills. Almost all on foam spiders. It didn't seem to matter what color or size, although my hookups increased dramatically when I went to a smaller size. My presentation was simple. If I didn't get a bite within 5 seconds of the spider hitting the water, I would cast again. Usually the bite came immediately. I would say about half of the fish were 7" or bigger. The bigges was about 10". They were almost all caught within 10 feet of the shore. This was the first I was really able to use the 3wt that I built myself. It performed beautifully. It was a great day to be on the water.

There is something about panfishing, if you are in the mood for sure "catching" it doesn't get any better than this. I love to fish for trout but panfishing is a runner up. IMHO, panfish taste better too, and I don't mind pulling a couple to the table every time I'm out. If I keep 1 or 2 trout a year for the table I'm happy.

I grew up fishing for bluegills with my grandfather so there will always be a something special about it for me. I have also noticed that sometimes fishing for gills on the fly can be more productive than using bait. They get a little leary when they see the same bait day in and day out.

Cool beans. Cross Creek has always been known for the "plump-iness" of its bluegills... did you catch any crappie or bass?

Didn't catch any crappie. But I was fishing on top most of the day so I wasn't too suprised. Did catch a couple of smaller bass. Biggest was about 12". Can't wait until my kids are big enough to float with me.

Sounds like you had a great time. Cross Creek holds some huge fish. Saw someone take a 7lb largemouth last year at a tourney.

Crappie will take flies on top water. I have had quite a few do so while fishing the bluegill pre-spawn at Cross Creek. I credit the panfish enhancement regulations for the size of the BGs there. Sounds like a real fun day.

Yes Jack they will, but if you WANT to catch them you stand a much better chance with any minnow imitation in the 1 to 2 inch range. I wouldn't be "too surprised" if I hadn't caught them while targeting bluegills on top. Had he been sinking buggers, I'd have been surprised if he hadn't caught any crappies. I think I mentioned before I caught crappies once during a sighting when I swear they were eating snowflakes. I saw no bug but cast the first dry fly I could get tied on and caught a dozen. It was almost funny.

I have had crappie take spiders before at Peters Lake but wasn't too suprised that I didn't pick any up on Thursday. I was fishing pretty shallow most of the day. Besides, I think the bluegill were just hitting too fast for anything else to get to the fly! It was an amazing day. One of those days when you wish you were fishing with someone. I'm not sure the folks on the shore watching me were quite as excited about my success however. Probably a little frustrating.

Old trick I learned, but it is probably illegal, and that is to tie 5-6 feet of line to a small balloon and a hook to the other end. Pierce the hook threw the flesh on the top of the first crappie you catch. Thereafter, cast to the balloon as the fish will rejoin the school.

I've never done this, but it made me appreciate that crappie like to travel about in schools, particularly pre-spawn. If you look close, you can often see disturbances in the lake that will let you track the school as it cruises about.

burghwolfe wrote:
with my float tube and 3 wt. The bluegills were more than happy to keep me busy.

I agree! I like fishing for gills with my 3wt and a float tube even better than fishing for trout!

Back