Cress bug again

sandfly

sandfly

Now that hunting is over for now, and I have some time I came up with this cress bug for Spring creek in the benner spring area for the winter.
sz.12-16 hook
body---scud dub.
over body......skilton cress bug

Attachments

• 12-14-11 033.jpg
    12-14-11 033.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 12-14-11 034.jpg
    12-14-11 034.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 12-14-11 035.jpg
    12-14-11 035.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 2
Sandfly,

Where did you get the skilton yarn? I could not find it anywhere.

Nice looking cress bug.

Call Skilton he has a web site . I know the sporting gentleman has some but i'm also sure Sandfly prob has some to sell also .

Nice tie. Love the orange head

His website is no longer and he seems to have stopped selling materials.

Where is the sporting gentelman?

Thanks

atlantis
I talked to Bill at the fly tying symposium and he said he is selling his stuff on ebay
I don't have any other details

Thanks Beadhead I appreciate the info, I had not checked on ebay.

I purchased three or four packages of his yarn in the .99 cent bin at a local fly shop. It made incredible cressbugs for Spring. Like crack. I have an olive color, and one that is a little more beige. The beige one worked best. If you look at the cress bugs (collect samples) in spring you will see they are very tiny (18-20ish). But I have always caught trout on larger, size 14's.

JG

jerseygeorge wrote:
I purchased three or four packages of his yarn in the .99 cent bin at a local fly shop. It made incredible cressbugs for Spring. Like crack. I have an olive color, and one that is a little more beige. The beige one worked best. If you look at the cress bugs (collect samples) in spring you will see they are very tiny (18-20ish). But I have always caught trout on larger, size 14's.

JG
I have seen Cress bugs in Spring Creek in a wide assortment of sizes. 16 seems to work well though. Not to big or small.

If anyone comes accross any of Bills Yarn please let me know, looked on ebay but couldn't find anything being sold by Bill Skilton.

Thanks

Atlantisboy,
I've used Bill Skilton cress bug yarn for years. This TCO stuff is exactly the same thing (and same colors).

http://www.tcoflyfishing.com/1TCO_Fly_Fishing_Product_DetailViewer.cfm?category=Materials&subcat=Yarns&type=CressBug

Sandfly,
Nice tie. How did you get the segmentation? It looks like you tied tiny knots.
Thanks.

Thanks Fishidiot, I didn't know it was exactly the same, I'm going to order some.I hope you are enjoying the holidays.

Sandfly, I really enjoy your rural and look forward to coming to your shop one of these days.

Back