Cree capes

• Thread starter FishingCreekEmerger
  • Start date
FishingCreekEmerger

FishingCreekEmerger

Hey guys, I am looking for opinions here. I have an opportunity to purchase a cree cape. I tie alot of Catskill style flies and would love to start using the original "grizzly". There are 2 small issues. 1. I have to buy online so I cannot see it first. 2. They are grade 3 metz.
I have a grade 2 metz and its not to bad but I never saw a 3. Anyone have/use one? I also called Metz today and the lady notified me that cree is going to be discontinued because of the rarities of them growing. I will buy 2 and keep the better.

How old are the capes? If they are new stock there should be no problem with the quality. I have some older Metz capes (20+ yrs old) and the quality is nothing like it is today. I am not saying that the older capes are junk, just not at the same level as todays hackle.

Have you seen pic's of the capes, and is it the color that you are looking for? There is alot of talk about what a true cree should look like. I have had cree capes from Whiting and Metz and they were not even close in coloration. Being a natural color there can be a broad range of shading.

Are the capes priced inline with other Metz capes of the same grade?

Good luck, Tony

They are new. I have not seen pics and wont be able to see pics, I can request capes on the lighter side and hope for the best. Price is where its at! I can't go into details but for 3the capes I would be under 100.00

Three capes for $100.00 sounds fair to me. Even if they are not what you are looking for you should be able to sell them to recoupe your money.

Good luck, Tony

Back