Crayfish Flies

dc410

dc410

Hoping for some warmer weather (preferably sooner than later) and a chance to get out after some smallies. I never really tied any crayfish flies but knowing that they are one of the SMB's favorite, figure I better try to get a few into my WW fly box.

Here is what I came up with just using different materials that I had on hand to produce a generic crayfish pattern. I may make a few changes but overall I think it should fish fairly well. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Crayfish 3.jpg
    Crayfish 3.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 20
Looks good. Be careful. I tie a similar fly but have rubber legs. I thought it would be killer for smb,,, I had a guy test them for me. They caught 12a carp and one was 35#.

Cool! As you can see from my current Avatar I have no problem with that.

Yea, I'd say they'll get ya some smallmouth. Nice looking ties.

Yep - carp love crayfish flies.

To get some greater movement and lifelike action, try some rabbit strips for the claws. Shorter strips work better IMO.

Thanks Dave. I have some natural colored rabbit strip that I will try for the claws. Great idea.

I am a fan of marabou for claws and rubber legs for extra movement. The marabou sinks a little better than the strips IMO both will work and produce fish though

DC, they look really nice. What did you use for the tail? Can't tell from the pic. I don't put tails on my crayfish. For me I find they can be hard to tie on with out getting them caught in the leader. I have also found depending on what tail material is it can make the fly twist while fishing. I also don't think the fish care. IMO.
I am sure they will catch fish. Trout like crayfish as well.

GenCon

GenCon,

I used the tips of the largest feathers on a mottled brown hen neck for the tail. Tied it in behind the dumbbell eyes and pulled it back through to the desired length. I don't know what effect the tail may have on twisting the fly during the drift. I can see your point though it may act as a rudder which wouldn't be good. Thanks for the heads up.

dc

If you're looking for another material to make these out of I use bug skin to make them. ( or any other thin leather )They have worked well with bass when I use them.

Those will work just fine.

I usually keep a few different crayfish patterns in the box. Two that I like are Clouser's crayfish and May's crayfish. I use those two the most. Here are good step by step instructions for May's crayfish. May's Full Motion Crayfish

Was tying earlier in the week, and did a few of these in orange and olive. Can't wait to fish them. Thinking the claws are a little too big, but the action should be great. Can't remember the website I saw the pattern on... Nice ties DC!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 3
odizz,

Nice looking tie. There have been some great ideas and patterns shared on this thread. I was aiming at a pattern to ride hook up to minimize snags as the crayfish pattern obviously should be fished right on the bottom. Thanks to everyone for the feedback and ideas.

dc

Tying in lead dumbbell eyes at the eye of the hook (on top but what will be the bottom when fished)will get you what you're after. Are the ones you have tied in there working for ya?

This winter, I tied the Al Ritt's Fighting Crayfish. I am anxious to try these. I will try to post a link to the video.

http://www.theweeklyfly.com/TWF/2009/06/22/al-ritt-ritt-s-fighting-crayfish-17-06

Wow! Al Ritt's Fighting Crayfish is a seriously high maintenance tie. Really cool pattern, but I will probably lose that son of a gun on the first cast with some of the places that I fish. Thanks for the link, I really enjoyed watching him tie that fly. Doubt whether any of them will ever grace my WW fly box because although I do enjoy tying I really like to fish more than tie. Tight lines, spring is just around the corner (I think), after we get rid of the impending snow storm. Let us know how you do with them this season!

dc410 wrote:
. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

After looking at the photos again, something is bugging me about these ties. I think you should send me a couple to look over. Preferably before bass season opens! :)

(You did say any suggestions!) :)

Yeah John carp eat them too... When stalking the smallies on your local creeks look for "mudders" (plumes of cloudy water in a clear stream) circle around, get upstream and plop it into the run above the fish and let it settle and wait for the carp to get into the area and then twitch it. They will eat that pattern. Just make sure you are tippet ready for the first run.

Suggestions I ask for for ..... and suggestions I got! That is one of the great benefits IMO of this forum and the wealth of information that folks are willing to share. I took the suggestion from FI on one of the original replies on this thread and went back to the vise. I thought that natural rabbit strips would be the answer for the material for the claws. I tied one with natural rabbit and my son looked at it and said he thought there was too much contrast between the claws and the body. He asked if I had any darker rabbit strips. I happened to have both black and an assortment of olive ones. Here is the result of the natural vs. the olive rabbit strip claws with the rest of the pattern the same as my original one. Personally, I think the olive is a really good look. Man, I can't wait to fish them! Thanks for all the replies.

Attachments

• Crayfish 6.jpg
    Crayfish 6.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 4
Here is the crawfish pattern that I use

DSC_0278.jpg

Back