Crappie time

• Thread starter Frederick V. C.
  • Start date
Black Crappie3.83 poundsunavailable1/21/1992Ben Curry, Sr.Lake Talquin, Gadsden County
There are a few here in Florida,commonly referred to as Speckled Perch.GG

Went back to my local honey hole around 7am to see if the ridiculous weather had moved the crappie back into the shallows. Indeed! Probably my best day ever on specks with a fly rod though they were all medium size. Jig fly under an indicator was the ticket as they wanted it painfully slow. Had at least 20 in the first hour and then the bite slowed down. Still plenty of hits but way less hook ups. Kept saying one more fish til about 10am and they were still ctachable on a bright sunny day with no wind. Go figure! Didn't feel bad harvesting some for dinner as most were about the same size. That said; I kept a few fish early; put them in a cooler and released several that were bigger.

Still happening. Another banner bite yesterday on a breezy, sunny day. Also caught two nice bass; probably 3-4 lbs. Good fun and relatively low impact on the body. (hip boots were enough) Fish were close to shore despite the sunny weather.

The crappie bite goes on. Currently won't fish the local streams for trout since they have almost no water in them. Fished from 6:30 -8 or so this am and caught fish steadily. Overcast and drizzle didn't hurt either. Nothing big but it was still a lot of fun. Some nice gills in the shallows as well. In and out and home by the time my wife was getting out of bed. White Clay Fly Fishers were having some kind of meet up but they were up lake a ways.

Back