Crappie time

JG63

JG63

Yup!

FFA18CB2-64D7-4505-979B-4E7D54153AA4.jpg

Now is prime time for crappies.

I usually find them in a particular spot in early April but this year, they didn't materialize. I should check again as they may just be late. A small, flashy nymph that sinks slowly usually does the job.

Some started moving into shallower areas just this week.

I love fishing the Crappie Spawn. What a tremendous little sunfish. Too bad that they do not fight nearly as hard as most of their Sunfish brethren, however.

BTW, if anyone cares, I have caught some REALLY HUGE crappie from Black Moshannon Lake before. The fact that it is loaded with pickerel is fun too. You can often see the pickerels' backs sticking out of the water in weedy shallows just hanging out by the bullrush and lilly pads. A cast aywhere near them and they are usually caught. Most lakes around here have too many crappies and therefore small crappies. Black Mo, however, usually impresses me with the size of their crappies.

Been catching them for the last 3 weeks
up tp 10 plus inches. Last eve the big gills started some up to 9+ inches. Started catching the small crappies last eve. All on dries nymphs and streamers .

I'd love to get one some crappie! I have no idea where to find them though. I've never targeted them before.

I fished for crappie intentionally for the first time last week. I caught lots on chartreuse flies. Not much size but fun fish. I got interested in crappie as a way to escape the out of town crowd during the sulfur hatch and still have some fun.

A friend and I have been catching a few in the Delaware. Last year we we catching them in a few spots but this year I've only seen them in one little area so far. I've also caught them on streamers, dries, and nymphs but streamers seem to be the way to go.

Back