Crappie; night bite

V

Van_Cleaver

Hit the local lake from 7-9 tonight. Took me a little while to get into the groove, but caught around ten crappie and lost a few more. Bite was right at dark til a bit after. Nothing big, but a lot of fun and good training for the Sulpher hatch.

Good to hear.

The crappie bite at my favorite local springtime spot didn't materialize this year, or I missed it.

I though I did too, til I watched a local crushing them the other night on a fly rod. He was very helpful and showed me what he was using. (Muddler) They are still in the shallows here but didin't bite til really late. I was catching them well after dark; lucky I remembered a head lamp.

I doubt that you missed the major part of the spawning period. During the first week or so of May their appearance in the shallows or other traditional fishing spots can vary considerably with the weather, as in here today, gone tomorrow just because of a cooler day or night. Large female crappies, as with large largemouths, might spawn earlier than the general population, although that is not something that I have read with respect to crappies...but it is something to consider. The recent warm spell, however, should have produced some good crappie fishing. In most lakes the next warm spell should be the key event, but I would bet that in most lakes the fish were not yet fully committed to the shallows. Cool weather sometimes delays the major spawning in larger lakes like Blue Marsh until Memorial Day and the week after, however.

As for Mid-April early May crappie fishing, in general the best daytime locations are in deeper, close to shore locations along steep, rocky drop-offs. These areas are hard to effectively fish with a fly rod, except if an evening bite occurs when the fish may temporarily move up in the water column, possibly following phantom midges, and into the shallows to feed on last year's YOY bluegills or other forage...not spawn. Such deep areas are quite good for fishing with jigs of various types, allowing the jig to sink to the bottom and using a very slow retrieve with thin line (example...6 lb mono may not produce any fish while the guy next to you using 4 lb mono is slaying them). The 6 lb has too much surface area and causes the jig to rise too high in the water column on a slow retrieve. I assume that this may be something to think about with sinking flies as well.

I should add that I have seen such steep sloped areas produce all spring, not just early on, even when many fish are spawning in shallow coves. Dry flies sometimes work well along steep drop-offs, such as lake dam breasts (where legal), just before and into darkness.

I have also trolled streamers in shallow pocono lakes in the last half of April and they have been effective for stocked trout and crappies at the same time.

Perhaps some lakes feature a specialized night bite in your area each year almost as soon as ice-out occurs. I know of one lake where this is reliable, and has been for years. The fish are caught in four feet of water, of which about 2.5 ft is occupied by aquatic plants. The fish are caught for the half hour leading into darkness and for the first hour thereafter. They are caught well out from shore in the upper 1.5 ft of the water column, requiring extra heavy wooden bobbers to be cast in order to deliver very small jigs to the fish.

Appreciate the info Mike, and agree that the weather this year has been a major influence, especially since it had been so up and down. This week is a perfect example; high today in the low fifties and fifties, the next few days also well below average. The bay where I am catching them is shallow and rocky so not ideal spawning location, but there is some nice mud bottom adjacent to it. I catch some crappie here all summer and fall, mixed in with Blue gills and occasional bass. Need to get a Kayak if I can ever catch up on the household essentials!

Mike,

You nailed the location. Found a rocky drop off on my local crappie lake the other day and hammered them. Fish were tight to the ledges and a small, sparkly streamer was good for a hookup on nearly every cast. Good advice!

Went back for more last night. Started well after seven and fished til after dark. The best bite was around eight and then it got sporadic. Just as a control I had fathead minnows and they hit them well after dark. The fly rod bite wasn't great (it was for a very short period) but considering the lake had risen a foot and the temps were in the fifties it was still pretty good in the shallows. That said I caught several on my 10' 3/4, though they were all on the small side. Mostly it was fun, and seven min. from home.

I have a crappie spot around a bridge in my local area that produces well at night. The fish are always about 10-15' off the bank in 3-4' of water. I've had great luck with tiny clousers, size 6 or 8 and about 2" long. I've found clear water is an absolute necessity for a good night bite on the fly. The spot isn't conducive to catching numbers of fish, but I've caught several 14-15" crappie as late as 10:30 pm. I haven't been able to test it lately to see if there's a spawn bite because river levels have been too high (and thus too muddy).

One night I got a nice surprise when a 17" largemouth took the size 8 sparsely-tied clouser at 10 pm.

Back