crane fly

A

alatt

Looking for a few different step by step dry crane fly patterns can anyone point me to a web site, been on a few, but no crane flies. Any help would be great including your own ties, and suggestions.

I've been using a tan fluttering caddis pattern with success when fish are taking crane flies.
The most common matching pattern I've seen for them however, consists of a tan body, and a like colored hackle tied in parachute style around a poly post. You can get even fancier, and tie in some legs consisting of 3 ott tan knotted thread.
I've tried all of the above patterns, and really found that caddis to work just as well as the other two.
Many times, they won't hit the fly unless its moving. If you watch craneflies on the water, they're always skittering around on the surface

dryflyguy wrote:
I've been using a tan fluttering caddis pattern with success when fish are taking crane flies.
The most common matching pattern I've seen for them however, consists of a tan body, and a like colored hackle tied in parachute style around a poly post. You can get even fancier, and tie in some legs consisting of 3 ott tan knotted thread.
I've tried all of the above patterns, and really found that caddis to work just as well as the other two.
Many times, they won't hit the fly unless its moving. If you watch craneflies on the water, they're always skittering around on the surface

I like the Chaz McDonald tie for cranes. Real simple - dubbed body, hackle point wings tied over the body or delta wing (45* angle) with oversized hackle wound Catskill style. The hackle tied in that way, as opposed to parachute style, causes the fly ride high on the surface allowing you to skitter or bounce. Tie in size and color to match naturals.

afishinado wrote:
I like the Chaz McDonald tie for cranes. Real simple - dubbed body, hackle point wings tied over the body or delta wing (45* angle) with oversized hackle wound Catskill style. The hackle tied in that way, as opposed to parachute style, causes the fly ride high on the surface allowing you to skitter or bounce. Tie in size and color to match naturals.

Thanks for the description. That seems like the way to go. I've never tried to skitter a fly that wasn't hackled, but I'm guessing the results would be less than productive.

FrequentTyer wrote:
afishinado wrote:

Thanks for the description. That seems like the way to go. I've never tried to skitter a fly that wasn't hackled, but I'm guessing the results would be less than productive.

It is a nice pattern and as I was telling Chaz the last time I saw him it's like having two flies for the price of one - in that I've used the 'orange/yellow' version as a substitute for small yellow sally's and they work great.

I've modified the mine slightly to incorporate CDC for the wings giving them a little added bouyancy.

Chaz was mentioning you can tie them in other colors such as gray as well.

This is a very simple, yet effective pattern.

PoconoPaul wrote:
FrequentTyer wrote:
afishinado wrote:

It is a nice pattern and as I was telling Chaz the last time I saw him it's like having two flies for the price of one - in that I've used the 'orange/yellow' version as a substitute for small yellow sally's and they work great.

I've modified the mine slightly to incorporate CDC for the wings giving them a little added bouyancy.

Chaz was mentioning you can tie them in other colors such as gray as well.

This is a very simple, yet effective pattern.

This does sound like a great pattern. Does anyone have a picture so that I can convert the words to visual? Sorry to ask guys but I'd still be the worst nymph guy in the world if I had to learn it from books. I'm a very visual/feedback learner.

Unfortunately I don't have a picture on hand, but I believe Chaz may have posted it at one time or another somewhere here on the board. If not, you might check with him, or maybe when we fish together I'll show you the pattern I tie that's somewhat similar, but not exactly the same as Chaz's original.

Thanks Paul. I was able to find Chaz picture. Damn, that goes back to 2004. LOL See below

Orange Crane Fly w/Wing
Tied by Chaz MacDonald
Hook: #14 Standard Dry
Thread: Orange Unicord
Body: Sulfur Dubbing
Wing: Dun Hackle tied downwing
Hackle: Ginger

Tying Instructions:

Tie them sparsely they work every where I've used them and that is about 15 states.

Attachments

• 2004chaz.jpg
    2004chaz.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 6
There ya go. Now, my version, if you can imagine a bit, features a slightly shorter dubbed body, and the CDC wing isn't as lengthy although it does extend beyond the hook gape. The hackle size is a bit smaller too.

I tend to time mine on sizes 14 and 16. I'll see if I can take a picture and upload it.

Aside from that I also tie some like the pictured.

They are both effective. You ought to try em on Valley some afternoon if nothing particular is hatching.

Crain Flies have very very skinny bodies so make sure you keep the dubbing at a minimum to keep the body skinny.

I've used that patter from Maine to Oregon and have caught fish everywhere I've used it. Which include CO, CA, OR, MT, WY, MN, IO, NY, PA, ME, NH, MO, and elsewhere. It takes about 5 minutes to tie and it will catch lots of big trout.

i tie the same pattern that foxgap posted but ill use a lt grey thin deer hair like coastal but very sparse and sometimes ill use grizzly hackle tips the pale yellow ones also have been used in place of sulphurs and work fine in a pinch

Back