Craft Store Perks

kelso2340

kelso2340

What is the best stuff you guys have found to buy at the craft stores? Favorite Craft Store?

Foam.

Prices.

small tools

foam, prices, better selection of super glues and epoxy's

glass beads and embroidery floss.

I just buy foam from craft stores.

However, if I used more beads I would get them there too.

Oh, and markers.

Every few months I take a walk through one of the local craft stores. While I keep an eye open for anything that catches my attention most often I check out the yarn, beads, and colored markers.

As to the poll, I tend to think chartreuse for browns, red and other egg colors for rainbows, and orange for brookies. Also find that blue sometimes works for browns but need to work that one some more.

I picked up some 4mm beads to check out because they sounded metal. Upon further inspection, they were actually metal, however, they are "hollow". So they really have no weight advantage, but just offer a way to finish off the head of the fly. The 3mm beads...yeah...they're just plastic with a silver or gold finish. Don't expect to find equivalent fly tying beads in craft store.

I picked up some really fabulous yarn to use for sucker spawn / egg patterns at a craft store the other day. You can get the equivalent of killer caddis beads for much, much less $$.

I got just some ostrich herl in black, some dyed turkey feathers, wire for ribbing, foam, and some other things that slipped my mind. I spent more money than my fiancé did! Its fun looking around, finding different materials to try and it's all cheap.

Ottlite.

I forgot about the little pom poms for eggs flies.

1.Craft Foam
2.Glues, Epoxies, Spray Adhesives
3.Beads
4.Razor blades
5.Organza (Joann Fabrics has tons of colors)
5.Sulky thread for ribbing
6.Embroidery Floss
7.Bead and hook containers

I'm in Joanns or Michaels at least once a week looking for stuff.

I go in just to use the mens room. It's always nice and clean because it's so seldom used.

I'll define big browns as 16" or better. I rarely catch big browns but when I do it seems they like some mix of red, orange, claret and brown.

the only big browns i have ever caught were stockies on my soft hackle pellet fly in the yough or a white and silver clouser

Totally agree with the pompoms for egg flies. I just wish I could find a nice peach! Also cheaper scissors. I've also gotten yarn for dying up sucker spawns.

I was at Joanns last night and they actually sell 6mm foam there now. This stuff is perfect for DIY fly boxes, and for making a homemade fly patch for your tying station.

Back