Covid / New Boat Owners

Dear Rleep,

One other question about the Star Pike. Just how sturdy do you think the seat is? I ask because I'm a gigantic dude, 6'5" and 350 pounds. I got rid of a Native Slayer 12XC because it was a hassle to mess with. The seat though, was luxurious even for my fat behind. Rock solid and with no hint of wobble or being stressed ever.

When I talk of hauling them inflated I'm talking 30 miles max and mostly less than that. I've hauled float tubes for decades fully inflated and never had a problem so I think I could manage that part.

I think for my wife the Aquaglide 125HB would be a better choice. She just likes to paddle around and sightsee while I want to fish. It's more like the kayak she came from, an Eagle Talon 12. I like it for the dual position seat and may go that route myself? I could paddle for fun, or jack the seat up and paddle for fish. Plus it comes with a cooler that has 4 rod tubes built in. She could carry a picnic lunch and I could have a couple of baloney sticks and 4 fishing rods! That's a win-win for me!

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Well, it's a pretty stout seat, Tim. More than adequate for us 180 pounders. There might be more Tim though than the thing is designed to handle. I think one thing you'd almost have to do is to replace the 4 adequate but by no means robust straps that lash the thing to the d-rings in the floor. As provided, even when tightened down as much as possible, there is still a bit of play and movement in the seat. A bigger guy like you would likely exacerbate this.
I think rather than off a definite opinion of its suitability for you, I'll refer you to Clyde Nicely at NRS. He seems to handle most of the Pike/STAR Pike questions. He's a pretty straight shooter and has treated me well. You could ask Clyde about it simply by writing to their general inquiry email address and making the note to his attention. Here's the online form: https://www.nrs.com/customer-service/email-us.aspx

Quote: I sold our hard shell kayaks because they were a giant PITA. They were too long to throw in the bed of a short bed pickup, and mine was 95 pounds so it was too heavy to cartop.

At 60 years of age with a wife that is older we need things to be easier and not more difficult.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)
[/quote]

Mr Murphy - for reasons you mention i have given up on my big kayak and am seriously looking at an Adirondack pack boat style canoe. companies like Hornbeck and Placid make very lightweight open canoes that are easy to load on cars, easy in and out on the water and you can access fishing gear, coolers etc.

check it out - just wanted to present you with another option for paddling.

Back