cortland brook series

C

chazx208

Looking into the cortland brook series of rods in either a 8'6" 4wt or 5wt for trout in pa. Does anyone have any input on these rods ?? I was originally looking at possibly purchasing a tfo finesse rod but now I found these rods

I'd recommend casting it first.

I was not impressed, in the least, with the one I cast.

Other thing to consider......
Cortland is no longer making rods. Warranty may be useless. TFO is a better option IMHO.

I had a 5 wt and liked it but broke it and Cortland couldn't fix it. I bought a 3 wt on clearance for less than half price but haven't been able to fish it.

If you get a good deal on it take a chance. Check Sierra Trading Post.

Local fly shop has them for $225, but online I can get them for $125..I try and keep most of my business local, but thats a $100 difference..

I own the 10 foot 5 weight. It is my nymphing rod and works very well. In a pinch I have fished dry flies on it. After I purchased it the wood reel seat developed a crack. I sent it back to the factory. It took a while but they replaced the entire butt section of the rod. I have always had good warranty service from Cortland. The bad news is they cannot fix them now even if they wanted too. The Brook Series is discontinued and I don't think they can even get the blanks or parts anymore. IMO the Brook is a great rod for the money but unless you get one cheap I think I would pass.

When Cortland couldn't fix my rod they replaced it with a different rod.

I have the 4 piece 7' 3 weight and it is a great casting rod. It replaced one of the original Diamondglass 6'6" 3 weights which was too much of a noodle for me. No suprise but the Brook was def a faster rod than the Diamondglass and while it is considered a moderate action it is quick and crisp enough to throw anything from tiny dries and terrestrials all the way up to smaller hoppers and even chucking small indicator rigs with beadheads and a little shot with no problem at all making it a pretty versatile little rod IMO. Fit and finish along with alignment dots are also pretty nice for a rod in this price range ($109 brand new on eBay)

The Sportsmen's Center has the TFO Finesse on sale for 30% off but only a few left. As of last week the had a 7'9" 4 wt, an 8'9" 3 wt and two others I can't remember. They did not have any 5 wts or a 4w in 8'9" (that's the one I'm looking for).

Nothing is listed online but here's the website and address:

Sportsmen's Center

69 US-130, Bordentown, NJ 08505
Phone:(609) 298-5300

Back