Cortland Brook 10' 4 wt?

K

kbobb

Anyone tried this rod- Specifically for nymphing?
What is your impression? Is it light weight/easy on the shoulder?
Does the tip have some flex or is it stiff? Can it handle a couple weighted nymphs or wooly buggers?

Thanks

I can't help you with this rod specifically, but I did recently acquire a 10 ft 4 wt Allen Myth rod. I've now fished it with streamers, nymphs, and dries with great results. It's my new go-to rod for streams medium size and up.

albatross wrote:
I can't help you with this rod specifically, but I did recently acquire a 10 ft 4 wt Allen Myth rod. I've now fished it with streamers, nymphs, and dries with great results. It's my new go-to rod for streams medium size and up.

I will be receiving my 10' Myth this week. Can't wait to try it.

I own a Cortland Brook 10 foot 5 weight. I bought it just for nymph fishing. It works great. The roll casts are awesome and the extra length of the rod enables better drag free drifts. IMO you will not be sorry. I really like mine.

K,
I have owned my Cortland Brook 10' 4 wt for two years its a great rod , fishes nymphs an streamers as well as dries an softhackles as good as you could ask of it. I am actually considering a 10' 5 wt in this series also. It Euro Nymphs also very well.
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace

How would you describe the action of the rod? Fast, medium fast, or slow?

i have had one for about a year, its a great rod for the price, to me is a medium action... i havent had any issues with casting, only issue i had with it was the weight just seemed alittle heavy so i just got a orvis access and love it....but other then the weight of the rod i really liked it

I have owned my Cortland Brook 10' 4 wt for two years its a great rod , fishes nymphs an streamers as well as dries an softhackles as good as you could ask of it. I am actually considering a 10' 5 wt in this series also. It Euro Nymphs also very well

I'm thinking about getting a Cortland Brook 10'. I'm not sure if I should go with the 4 or 5 wt. It would mostly be used nymphing but also with dries probably on medium to larger water. I don't use streamers that often but a rod in the 4-5 class that can toss them would be a plus.

I already have 2 8.5' 5 weights and a 9' 6 wt. I want something with more reach but is a good all purpose rod. I don't own a 4 wt and thought the 10' Brook would make sense in a 4 but I worry I might be going too light fishing water where I know there's a more than reasonable chance of hooking 18-20" fish and up.

Can a 10' 4 wt be reasonably expected to handle fish in that range? Does it have the backbone to toss nymph rigs by a less than expert (ok way less) caster?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cathy

CathyG ,
Nice thing about a 10' rod is that it does most everything else in spades,Besides the ability to control dragfree drifts within your abilities.It also gives you way more in the department of larger fish fighting capability...most 10 foot rods have a heavier butt to the rodd blank an when you need that extra stick you can use that to your advantage and get a fish in a lot quicker,and that means theres less time playing games an wearing that fish out an building lactic acid up in its system...therefore the fish will be happier.
The Cortland Brook 10' 4 wt will throw streamers, but for a happier medium including streamers, bigger water go with the 5wt.
the 4 wt is a great stick too, but IMHO on bigger water an throwing bigger flies also dealing with windy conditions that tend to happen far more on bigger water because its more open, a 5 weight is a better option,nice thing too is that you can always underline the rod an use a 4 wt line or go line size larger with a 6 an be perfectly fine..well maybe a lil adjustment in your giddy up..but a few minutes an you'll be fine.
Cathy if you want we cann mett up on a stream an ill let ya use the rod for the day an you can make a decision before you buy one.
Rick Wallace
BTW aside from my 9' 9weight Gloomis GL4 i use when Salmon are aound, I strictly use a 10' 6 wt on the NY Great Lakes Tribs an land numbers of Browns in the upper teens no problems...also have landed my largest brown 21 pound hen on a Winston LT 5 pc 6wt .That was no fun, the rods was strained but delivered.I prefer 10' rods an larger for all my medium an river fishing these days.
I can Thank Ol Lefty {Dave Rothrock} for that advice. he turned me onto larger rods,before that longest rod i owned was 8' an it was a Gloomis GL3 4wt, rod i used constantly was a 7'6" 5 wt, an my current small stream rod is a 7'6" Hexagraph,and that same 7'6" 5 wt,also a 7' 4 wt.

if you want we cann mett up on a stream an ill let ya use the rod for the day an you can make a decision before you buy one.

Thanks, would appreciate that. I only have Sundays off these days though. If you get out on a Sunday maybe we can get together.

CathyG,
aside from duties as a Union board member an shutting down our Union office , I am jobless as of March 28th i have all the time in the world till i get another job.Send me a Pm with your number or let me know if youd like mine Sundays are always better spent flyfishing or tying flies.
Rick Wallace

Back