Cortland 333 vs Scientific Angler Air Cel - Thoughts?

steveo27

steveo27

I recently picked up a 8' 5/6w Eagleclaw Featherlight 'glass rod, Ive been fishing it with WF5W line and it casts ok.

I purchased a used reel on Ebay last week and today it showed up, a Pfuleger Medalist 1494. I plan on adding WF6W line to this reel and Im not really sure what I want to put on it.

Im going to use this rod/reel for bass and trout, so I dont need anything specialized, just a floating line.

Im not looking to spend a lot either as I have a tendency of destroying line pretty easily. I like slamming it off of rock and stepping on it.

I was looking at both Cortland 333 and Scientific Angler Air Cel line. Both seems to get good reviews for the price.

Any thoughts on either?

Yo ste

These are the lines that started the revolution away from silk and nylon lines. In fact, as the braided nylons were just getting going, these vinyl coated lines, some with microbubbles, essentially took over the market, due to ease of use, floatability without having to Mucilin the lines (at least at first) and maybe cost.

If I come across a 333 or Air Cel in a color and size I like, I tend to snap it up. The tapers between these two back in the day were a little different from each other as the companies, depending on vintage, tried to compete in balancing line tip floatability and delicacy.

The technologies in these two are definitely first generation, but still perfectly adequate in every regard. Cost at WalMart, etc. can sometimes be a pittance, like $11-12. I still have several of each, over 30, maybe 40 YO, that are going strong.

333 is under rated line! Believe it or not its my personal favorite for how I fish. I've had expensive lines and for the way I fish they just do not preform as well for me as the Cortland 333. I like the Gecko green color.

I prefer the Air Cell - it seems to stay a little slicker, longer.

Back