Copper Johns & Brassies

G

greenhead55

I am tying up copper johns and brassies for PA and I am also making a trip to the Bighorn this summer. Do I need to be using lead on them beings I have weight from the wire and bead ?

You could try tying bead heads. This way you get weight and keep the slender body profile.

Ive used lead on CJs but not on brassies. You can do anything you want in fly-tying though. I think that is what makes it fun, the fish are the ultimate judges of our fly patterns.

I was thinking about when I get into deep pockets but that's what split shots are for. Right?

If you're using a tungsten bead, there's no need for lead. The bead and wire will easily get them down.

Also, try tying them with rubber legs. Works wonders ;)

greenhead55 wrote:
I was thinking about when I get into deep pockets but that's what split shots are for. Right?

You are correct and Dub is correct. The beads should be good in most situations but if you find you aren't getting to the bottom, add some shot.

Not on brassies, but you can on the CJ. Keep in mind that any added wire to the fly should approximate the diameter of the hook.

Back