Copic marker airbrush system

Shawn Joseph

Shawn Joseph

This is my first time using the system. I really like it. This fire tiger popper was done with 5 different colors blended(stole the idea from the youtubes). Used uv resin for the head. Not happy with that. Will go to a 30 min epoxy next time. I really like the airbrush system a lot. Takes some getting used to at first. I even colored the feathers using it. Next time I will put epoxy on before I start tying in feathers. A learning curve.
IMG 1257

Last edited:
Looks good for the first attempt.

I made some mistakes. I’ll definitely put the legs in after I epoxy next time. And man I stink at getting the bobbin through for the legs straight. It’ll take some flies until I get better. And thank you! For the first one I am happy but I know I can improve on the process.

Looks good. I learned early that its easier to do the coloring and the coating with either epoxy or UV resin before putting the popper head on the shank. Not sure if you're doing it but I always tie in the tail and the hackle before sliding the popper head on. As far as legs go, I usually make the holes before I coat the body. I use a thin coat flexible or regular UV resin to coat the body. I use a large sewing needle to make the holes and use a floss threader to pull the legs through. The pre-made holes lessen the chance of cracking the finish if you're using a hard UV resin or epoxy. It's tough getting the legs even. Trial and error.

This is my first time using the system. I really like it. This fire tiger popper was done with 5 different colors blended(stole the idea from the youtubes). Used uv resin for the head. Not happy with that. Will go to a 30 min epoxy next time. I really like the airbrush system a lot. Takes some getting used to at first. I even colored the feathers using it. Next time I will put epoxy on before I start tying in feathers. A learning curve.View attachment 1641232708
Did you make the head? If so is it wood or foam, and how do you secure it. Love the fly!

Did you make the head? If so is it wood or foam, and how do you secure it. Love the fly!
It’s foam and a double barrel head I bought. I secured it with super glue over a thick thread wrap. Thanks for the compliment.

Last edited:
Back