Cook Forest fishing

ryguyfi

ryguyfi

I'm headed there in a few weeks with my extended family. We went last year and I hit up Toms as it was easy to find and very well known. Anyone want to share any more streams in that area to look for brookies? We will be right at the mouth of Maple Creek. You can PM if you'd like. Thanks in advance!

Anyone?

Looks like Cherry Run is close to where we are staying and has wilds. Any info on that?

Troutbert's book mentioned some streams in the area, I recall; Tom's Run probably won't have anything left in it by this time of year.

Wish I could help, haven't fished up there since I was a kid and barely remember it. But good luck with what you end up doing!

Tom's has the "kids fishing pool" towards the mouth but holds brookies as you go up. Real thin water and nothing more than 4-5" in my small survey last year.

Not sure where Maple Creek is, but I went to college at Clarion and can confirm that Toby Creek and Blyson run have wild fish. Toby Creek is a gorgeous little high gradient stream that dumps into the impoundment known as Piney Dam just below the town of Clarion, so that would be like 30 minutes from Cook Forest.

I WENT TO CLARION AS WELL. BUT I REMEMBER TOBY CREEK BEING NORTH OF TOWN AND RUNNING THROUGH THE GAME LANDS. LARGE ENOUGH AT ITS MOUTH TO RUN A BOAT UP INTO. BUT UP HIGHER IT IS A NICE STREAM. MAPLE , I THINK, DUMPS IN TO THE CLARION A COUPLE MILES EAST OF COOKSBURG. CATHERS AND MILL CREEKS, WHILE MORE WELL KNOWN, ARE WORTH LOOKING INTO AS WELL.

If you follow River Road upstream from Maple, most of the small tribs of the Clarion hold small brookies. Clear Creek tribs have brookies also, and the closer you get to Ridgway the better the fishing gets in the larger tribs.

Back