Convertible Waders

T

troutbert

I heard about Orvis waders that are convertible, i.e. they can be converted from full chest waders to guide pants.

Does anyone have experience with these waders, and if so, do you like them?

And does anyone know of any other companies that make this type of wader?

Simms used to, I still have a pair but it appears they don't make them any longer, probably because they can sell someone waist highs & chest waders for more $$$. ;)

I like the concept although I've been rolling down regular waders for years. The advantage to the "convertibles" is the upper is lighter as are the suspenders which for ME make them a whole lot more comfortable than regular chest waders.

You MAY loose a front pocket with convertibles but I never used that pocket on any waders I owned so it was no great loss to me.

I have the Orvis ultralight convertibles and I'm going on my 5th year without ANY issues. At almost $300, they better last...

edit: 4th year, not fifth.

Last edited:
I heard about Orvis waders that are convertible, i.e. they can be converted from full chest waders to guide pants.

Does anyone have experience with these waders, and if so, do you like them?

And does anyone know of any other companies that make this type of wader?
I've been wearing the Orivs convertibles for quite a while. I really like the ability to wear them waist high in the warmer weather and for small stream fishing. (Oh and you can easily pull them down and p with the suspenders still on🚽);)

One thing i like about zip fronts is opening them up for the walk in or out on a hot day. But if your wading belt is tight, and chest waders are convertible.

I have a pair of the orvis convertibles and never use the convertible feature. It is kind of cumbersome to convert on the fly because the back snap is not easy to manipulate imo. I wear a pair of dryft wading pants 95% of the time I need waders, but I seldom wade over waist deep anyway. I wear the orvis as chest waders when I fish new deep water only. I wet wade in the warmer months and much prefer that to wearing waders at all.

I have the Orvis pair that has held up really well and converting back and forth is pretty slick with the magnet clips they have on the suspenders.

I have the Orvis ultralight convertibles and I'm going on my 5th year without ANY issues. At almost $300, they better last...

edit: 4th year, not fifth.
I go through a pair of waders every year.

I go through a pair of waders every year.
Me too. Or most years anyway.

I’ve had waist highs before, IMO they’re not really any cooler than chest highs. When I want waist highs now, I just roll my chest highs down and tuck the straps down into the waders. Use the waist belt to hold them up.

Back