Conundrum...

time to fish fire hole is NOT when everyone is chasing the hatch but early in the morning.Work the undercut banks with small streamers[such as 12 spruce fly,lt. or dark].You can get some mighty nice fish that way which is a surprise as river not considered to have baitfish but it works.Having said that will mention most locals consider the fire hole trout to be inferior to other rivers in the park.Could be the water but they don't have the oomph as other rivers.

P.S.[whispertone-september-Madison above Hegban and Yellowstone below falls fun fishing]

hah, thanks for the advice guys. She is into flyfishing, when I can get her out onto the stream at least. It's been fun teaching her to cast and acting as guide on the water. Open brookie fishin' she loves, she has fun on the Breeches and Big Spring, haven't had her fishing on the Letort yet...

And knowing what little I do based upon one visit to Montana so far, I'm feelin' like the 7'6"/4wt runs a good chance of being a knife in a gun fight if the wind starts blowing or we're throwing bigger flies all day, or splurge and take a float...we're looking at either early-mid August or third-ish week of Sept I think. I'm figuring to have 4/5/6 wt cane rods stuffed into my travel tube, she'll have two 4pc graphite rods, 4 & 5 wt, our trout fishing bases covered. Honey, it's a gift for our future...right?

Worst case, I blame it Rowland..."but sweetheart, I asked. And that kind gentleman at the flyshop said yep, sure, that is the perfect Valentine's Day gift. She'll love it."

so, I'm covered right?

;-)

I speak from experience, unless she's a dedicated Fly-fisherwoman, it's not an ideal Valentine gift.

I think its a great gift. Of course my wife is very guy like in that she does not give a crap about valentines day and never has.

tomitrout wrote:

She is into flyfishing, when I can get her out onto the stream at least.

Ummm. Do you realize what you just wrote there?
:-o

I was thinking the same thing. Please let us know how it goes, Before you do it, tell a friend to post about it for you. Just in case...

Ummm. Do you realize what you just wrote there?

yeah, and I'm not seeing the issue with it. It's the truth, she really does enjoy flyfishing, when we're able to go together...but between bike rides, skiing, hiking and other wknd fun, fishing usually isn't our first choice for spending a Saturday together (though I do see that balance shifting a bit this year.) When we do go, it's always been a good time and she is into it. I already have dinner figured out for the wknd, so I'm thinking I should be ok with the 9'/5wt plan...and besides, it'll be her first Hardy reel, what can go wrong?

I would also recommend a 9' 5 weight for fishing out west.

If this girl really likes to fly fish, it sounds like she's a keeper.
FWIW though - I once dated a girl who spent a whole season fishing with me. And I was starting to think that maybe I had finally found "the one"
However, the following year - she lost all interest in it. And I realized that she was just trying to impress me that first year we were together.
Hopefully, that won't be the case with you!

This flyrod will allow you to spend more time with her...what's more romantic than that? I'd also throw in some flowers.

Is there something that she is into in a similar way that you are into flyfishing. If so, choose a gift idea in that area of interest.

Lots could go wrong. But, if you take her out for dinner and buy her some flowers, then the ff outfit would be a bonus. Better do dinner and flowers, though.

And don't forget to remind her of that other special day on March 14th.

I'm taking my wife on a shopping trip. She's dropping me off a the creek and while I fish for 3 hours, she shops for 3 hours. Dinner afterwards. Oh, and we're waiting till March and warmer weather to do this.

Best Valentine's gift every I say!

well, here's the update....head over to her place after work Friday to start loading the car for our wknd ski trip to WV, load some gear then present her w/ a wrapped box along with a card and obligatroy small box of chocolates.

She shakes the box, I ask that she be careful and tell her I doubt she'll guess what it is when she looks at me after another quick shake and says...."It's a fishing reel!!!!"

My jaw drops in disbelief, gotta say my girl's got skillz. She rips off the paper, and squeals like a giddy school girl, "My first Hardy!!"

whew, big sigh of relief.

So, yeah, it all worked out. :-D

And for the gear junkies: Hardy Ultralight Disc, #7 spooled w/ lots of backing and a Rio Avid 5wt WF, Echo Solo 9'/5wt rod. The rig balances right at the front of the grip and as soon as this weather breaks we'll get out to the park and break it all in. Lucky guy I am.

I hope you also got her some under armor. Always get something personal.

Girlfriend shouted "My first Hardy!!"

Wow TT. Shoulda started her off with some cheaper gear. That girl is gunna cost you a fortune in fishing tackle!

Girlfriend shouted "My first Hardy!!"

Wow TT. Shoulda started her off with some cheaper gear. That girl is gunna cost you a fortune in fishing tackle!

heh, yeah, probably...at least she hasn't developed a taste for cane rods, yet. (well, she appreciates them, but isn't yet into fishing with 'em :-o ) And I'm lucky to have a well stocked gear closet fromover the years, so she's pretty well outfitted for the time being.

Back