Contacting RIO? "Deffective Tippet"

i had the same experience with 2lb floro from rio... i always believed you get what you pay for so i bought the most expensive 30 yards of fishing line i have ever bought.

got it at tco, everyone raves how good it is. i disagree. it probably cost me 20-30 lost fish and flies this year.

would tco sell uv degraded floro or is rio junk? i am not a fan of rio.

IMO RIO is far from junk. I have used it for quite some time with no problems. I use both the mono and fluoro. BTW UV rays do not break fluoro down like it does mono.

mutzinbaugh wrote:
i had the same experience with 2lb floro from rio... i always believed you get what you pay for so i bought the most expensive 30 yards of fishing line i have ever bought.

got it at tco, everyone raves how good it is. i disagree. it probably cost me 20-30 lost fish and flies this year.

its 7x floro
what do you expect?

mutzin, UV doesn't break down flouro, that stuff lasts forever. What you saw was the material properties, not degraded line. I'm suspecting, though, that 7x fluoro of any brand is gonna give you the same issue.

7x fluoro would be very easy to break. We read test weights, as you said, 2 lbs, which might be very accurate. But a 1 lb fish can put far more than 2 lbs of force on a line, it's just short lived.

And 2 lb fluoro doesn't act like 2 lb mono. Mono stretches, floro doesn't. And stretch acts as a shock absorber. So a 2 lb mono line can take sudden surges of 4, 5 lbs, so long as it's not sustained.

Ramcatt wrote:
mutzinbaugh wrote:

its 7x floro
what do you expect?

lol, right?

to the original poster, sorry, i value my time and effort too much to worry about a $4.50 spool of tippet to start calling up manufacturers, etc.

i fish Rio Powerflex almost exclusively, with a few different Stroft products in the mix. i find it to be great stuff.

Back