considering a Redington CT Classic 7'6" 3wt

Pauly

Pauly

As the title says, I am really thinking of picking up a Redington CT Classic 7'6" 3wt.

Loading it with a 3wt DT. I'm thinking this will be a good set up for me and will excel at roll casting. If I load it with 4wt DT, will it suffer at longer distances with the extra load?

This may help, check out the final conclusion note: http://www.paflyfish.com/forums/open-forums/gear-talk/3-weight-rod-recommendations/3,24333.html

Thanks for that.. I read that topic before but never read that conclusion.. I never went to page 2.... I should have paid more attention. The price difference on the Redington and St Croix is near $100.
In that conclusion the rod was claimed to have some stiff spots, which is my reasoning for using a 4wt line to soften it up a bit.
But I'm concerned that its short casts will benefit where the long casts will suffer by taxing the rod feel to much. But then again I am contradicting myself because this is a close range rod to begin with so long castings would be few and far between.

Go to a fly shop that has one in stock and cast it. That'll answer your question. Get at least 2-3 rods in your hand and see what fits best.

I've heard people say that the CT is really similar to the old Sage LL rods. Can anyone verify that?

Back