Considering a guide

zenherper

zenherper

I am considering a guide in the Reading area; somebody who wouldn't mind offering suggestions for a beginner. I've been doing a ton of conversational and book learning and have been out on the water a couple times by myself, but I think I would benefit from having an experienced guide to help me translate my philosophical understanding to a working knowledge without developing bad habits from the start.

Any suggestions without breaking the bank?

When flows drop I'd be glad to meet up and fish the Tully with you and help you out. No charge of course.

Or the Little Lehigh whenever you can get free.

Just send me a PM if your interested.

Personally I'd just find people on this board to meet up with whenever possible before I'd spend the money on a guide. Just fish as often as possible.

When I started I found a section of water I like and just kept fishing it over and over. It really helps build confidence.

Wow. I am incredibly impressed with the level of generosity of the people I have met in fly fishing thus far. I will definitely take you up on that, LL. I have no problem coming up to the Little Lehigh. My only issue, at least until May, is time. I coach lacrosse at the high school where I teach, and we practice or have games every day after school and on Saturdays until May 7th. So, I have Sundays available until then, but after, I free and clear for the most part.

I really appreciate your offer. I'll send you a pm as well.

Same offer here. I'll take you out on all the Berks County streams if you'd like.

Take you out on some bigger water, the Lehigh of course.

I don't know a good guide in that area but I think a good guide is worth it's weight in gold... don't be afraid to interview extensively as some are better fits than others! Good luck!

You guys are great. I appreciate it.

Redsun wrote:
local guide

A bit of Wise advice. show up to a TU meeting and go from there. show up this sat 12th clean up

hope to see you on the stream

Thanks Redsun. I have already signed up for a TU membership through jdaddy, and attended a meeting 2 weeks ago. I'm hoping to be able to make the clean-up as well.

A guide will help shorten the learning curve. As stated before, choose carefully! Is the guide a full time guide, if so = good enough to earn a living. FFF certified, if so they have been through special teaching seminars to help you learn to cast and fish. Talk to the guide on the phone several times to be sure you are prepared, tell them your abilities and expectations, and that you believe your personalities will mesh. TCO flyshop in Reading is a good source for quality guides and advice. When you do employ a guide LISTEN TO THEM. You have hired them as an expert, benefit from their expertise. I have hired several guides and after doing proper duediligence, have had great experiences and have always learned from them.

My previous profession was a golf professional and I spent much of my time un-doing poor advice the student had received from those unqualified to give advice. That being said there is a wealth of knowledge available here and from your TU chapter members, use ALL sources in conjunction.

Never used a guide but there is way too much said and written about the effectiveness of using a guide at least on new water to shorten the time it takes to get accustomed. Guides are worth their weight in gold for shortening the learning curve on new water. If you decide you want to take a trip out west , the Cumberland Valley streams or further PM me and we can hook up in Carlisle or somewhere.

Guides are worth their weight in $.imo Used them on new water or new species and they are definately a way to shorten the curve ,as has been said.
There is that "local knowledge" that board members will share which is great as you can make new friends as well as get some great advice. GG

Guides can be useful, just make it clear to them that you're hiring them to learn technique more than catch fish that day. That might affect where they take you, but more importantly, they're more likely to utilize a variety of techniques and explain when to use each of them, explain leaders and equipment for each, etc., rather than simply supply you with what you need and focus on the 1 technique which is best for that time and place.

Most good shops also offer short classes as well. I know FFP in State College would do nymphing courses with small groups for a much lower fee than 1 on 1 guiding. Even off stream, there are many casting instructors available through shops, TU organizations, and even community colleges and such.

That said, many on this board could teach you a few things to quicken the learning curve, obviously we just had the free event in Allentown but most of us are willing to take you out 1 on 1 as well, which is an even better forum. Secret: We enjoy our hobby and love to share it! May not be as good as a professional but we will help and are willing.

Me included. I now live about an hour south of you and I too have to learn some new streams down that way. But I still work in Reading, and expect to make some local after work trips once the days get long enough. I can just about guarantee that once the caddis and sulfurs start flying I'll be out near Reading 2 or 3 days a week. It's an open offer, just shoot me a pm.

zenherper wrote:
Redsun wrote:
local guide

A bit of Wise advice. show up to a TU meeting and go from there. show up this sat 12th clean up

hope to see you on the stream

Thanks Redsun. I have already signed up for a TU membership through jdaddy, and attended a meeting 2 weeks ago. I'm hoping to be able to make the clean-up as well.

Ya, Sky Blue Outfitters does a lot with out local TU chapter. Guys name is Rick Nyles. Spending a day with him on Mannatawny would be great idea.

I don't know that you need a guide, you're more likely to need a casting instructor. After that, I'd say someone who's got the patience to show you how to read the water and find fish.

Back