Conodoguinet Carp Sized Smallmouth Bass--5/23/14

Night_Stalker

Night_Stalker

Carp sized smallmouth are cool!

The net is a Frabill Steelhead model, 20 x 23" frame. My guess would be 20.25" (felt like 22"er).

Lots of fun with the Conodoguinet running at 3.25 feet (2.25 feet is a safe level to wade). Fish was sideways downstream for a while. Had a handful of others. I do not believe the location being fished would have spawning beds.

Good times.

Attachments

• P5230805_R.jpg
    P5230805_R.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 23
  • P5230801_R.jpg
    P5230801_R.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 20
  • P5230802_R.jpg
    P5230802_R.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 20
Nice fish!
Judging by the rod handle, she's easily in the 20" class. I have a 20" mark on my rod and landing net that allows me to confirm the size of the fish after I can get a good look at a photo.

Glad to see the Connie is clearing up. When I drove up to the jam a week ago it had been at flood stage and was up in the trees. In some places, the flood plain had water in fields over 100yds from the normal river banks. Worst I'd ever seen it. In my experience, SMBs in the Connie tend to spawn pretty early... but this year, with cold temps and high water, who knows? Hopefully, the spawn wasn't a total loss.

This one had some shoulders on it…but the stomach / belly was not bloated. I really expected it to be even larger based on the tug. It was fun trying to keep out of some recently relocated large tree branches.

I did see smalls on beds weeks ago, but at the same time continued to catch them away from bedding areas. So Dave…time will tell. Later, at the end of summer, it is great to see the perfectly shaped 1.25" bass swimming around with there orange/red fins. I have found dead large mouth the same size in the condo.

Holy crap, that's a huge bass.

Just got my broken 6 wt replaced and can't wait to get into some smallies this summer!

Ain't nae feesh 'n at crick! Nice pix though!

Very cool fish!! Where are some good places to go at the Connie for fishing, such as good places to park for decent creek access?

NewFlyGuy wrote:
Very cool fish!! Where are some good places to go at the Connie for fishing, such as good places to park for decent creek access?

It fishes well for bass from the mouth to well above Newville. If you're after muskies, fish from Carlisle downriver. There are many access spots. Start your exploring with a map check and look for bridges etc. There are some public parks as well. Much of the Connie is shallow and rather flat bottomed so don't write a section off at first glance. Sometimes you have to look up or downstream a few hundred yards to find the better pools. Put your time in and pay your dues and you'll find some good spots.

Ok thanks for the feedback!!

Big smallmouths are one of my favorite sights. I land quite a few over 20" and weighing several pounds each year. Each and every time they are a blast. Good stuff and nice catch. I want one BIGGER than I've ever had now...maybe I'm just being greedy.

Back