Confidence?

P

PaulItaliano

Hello, been a long time lurker without contributing much.

Was just having some thoughts and thought I would share with the forum, to see if anyone else feels the same way.

I have been fly fishing for about 35 years now, it has been a very important part of my life. Fly fishing has seen me through many difficult and troubling times over the years.

I just recently noticed a “trend” in my fly fishing experience.

Late and very early in the year (Dec-Feb), my confidence that I will catch a fish is very low. The 5-8 times I get out over the winter rarely yield a trout, the trout that I do catch are small. Over the winter my knots are poor, my casting is sloppy and I am always second guessing my fly selection.

In the beginning of April though, it all changes; I hit the fully stocked local stream and catch a dozen freshly stocked and very dumb trout. My confidence is back; now my trips upstate and to central PA to quality trout streams is MUCH more productive. My knots are tied quickly and perfectly, my casting is smooth and accurate and I always (most of the time) pick the right fly.

Anyone else experiences this “lack of confidence” in the winter?

All the time. I think the cold short days attribute to it the most. Life is much easier when its warm enough out to function. Winter is a tough few months mostly because I HATE cold weather.

Usually my lack of confidence doesn't come with winter, but rather a streak of no fish or when fishing new water. Winter doesn't really have an effect on my confidence.

Just try not to think of it as winter next time and just fish slower, deeper pools with midges, small nymphs, or some streamers. On warmer days you could even try hitting riffles. I've caught trout sitting in unexpected winter spots before.

Again, don't look at winter differently. Just fish some smaller flies and some slower water, that's all.

Hope this helps!

P.S. I actually love winter fishing because of the snowy scenery and very small crowds if any at all.

I actually do the opposite during the winter, I try harder, pay more attention, fish more methodically and slowly etc etc, It just a result of knowing that I must try alot harder to put fish in the net than vs. spring time or fall, I really enjoy winter fishing, my expectations are usually low, but if i fish hard and fish with purpose I can usually exceed expectations, not only that i absolutely love having the river to myself.

With that being said I can totally understand the confidence thing, but for me in the winter I know its possible to put a few fish in the net so I try hard to do so, maybe harder than usual

I hear that Chucky! nothing better than standing in a creek when it's snowing, all you can hear is the creek. I don't catch anything, but it sure is nice.

I am extremely confident in the winter time that I will catch cold feet and fingers.

With that said, I will fish harder for a shorter period of time. And am happier with one fish caught for the day than several caught during trout season.

Confidence can certainly be part of the equation in winter that works against you, but so do conditions. It's mostly flat out tougher to raise a fish in winter than in later spring or early summer. They won't move as far for a fly and often seem happy to sulk under a rock most of the time. In the winter I'm happy to be out (and wasn't very happy this winter, because I only made it out twice) and I always view the fish as a bonus. Very happy to see the area greening up and the flowering trees flowering, and actually to see some water in streams!

Trout don't quit eating because it's winter. I try to stay confident no matter what! I have had some really good days fly fishing during the winter. You have to pick your days to fish carefully though. I have caught trout every month of the year and this past Feb. I caught my first ever trout on a dry fly during the month of Feb. Got him on one of my own size 20 BWOs. If you lack confidence you might as well stay home because you have already lost.

Absolutely not. Winter is one of my favorite times to fish for trout, smallies, and many other game fish. Winter has its own set of difficulties but I actually find winter trout quite easy and predictable. Spring is always a nice change though because I remember how nice it is to fish with hands that aren't cold.

I often lose confidence when nymphing. I wonder if any fish are feeding and it goes down hill from there. As soon as I see a fishing rising my focus comes back in a heart beat, but if I am nymphing I can lose focus and confidence fairly quickly.

Dredge the bottom with nymphs on jig hooks. You're bound to catch. Make it a mop fly and you'll definitely catch.

Paul,
Depending on the water you fish, the fish may move to different water once the temp reaches a certain point. If it's a smaller / spring fed water, I don't think you'll find the fish moving much. If it's a larger water like Penns or Little J, fish in some sections may head to the deeper pools for winter. Fish in other sections may move to seek out spring seeps or spring fed feeders where they will be afforded more stable / moderate temps during winter.

I've been fishing about the same amount of time as you an on unknown waters is where my lack of confidence may make an appearance.

Learn the waters you fish very, very well. Understand where the spring, summer, fall and winter holding water is located. Fish slow in the winter which you should be able to do because of smaller crowd sizes. Lastly, find a couple of patterns that have worked well for you and use them when you need a boost. Winter fishing can be mighty slow depending on the stream so just enjoy the time outdoors.

Anyways, it sure beats staying at home and working on the Honeydue list during winter.

WTT: Confidence is only built by fishing all conditions. (Windy conditions/rainy/snowy etc.) And for a person just to stay home because of the lack of will ensure that they will not develop.

Knowing the stream is key. In my kids at home/going to practices, games, etc phase of life I only had time to fish my local river. After a while I think I knew every trout by name and had almost no bad periods and could catch fish from floods to droughts in all seasons. I tried to catch trout each week of the year and typically caught wild browns 50 weeks of the year (something always went wrong a few weeks a year). In fact, my highest catch rates were in January and February when the wild browns congregated in a few wintering holes.

Fast forward a couple of decades and things have changed. I fish all over the place, but don't have such a clear home stream as I once did. Plus, I am not as driven. Nymphing up a fish or two is fine (although I don't like getting skunked) - but I have lost the confidence of knowing exactly where the lies are and how to best approach them.

For example, my son lives in Reno, NV and I was having trouble nymphing up trout in the Truckee. So I hired a guide and met him two blocks from where my son lived. First shock was that he pulled out a 10' 3wt Greys Streamflex rod with a Ross reel - my exact nymphing set up. Then he put on a worm/Zebra midge combo - which was the combo on my drying patch that I used on the Little Lehigh the week before. Then he had me tight line fish the seams and bubble lines, which is my standard practice. Magically I started crushing fish. Same tackle, same rig, same style of fishing. However, this time I had confidence and it made all the difference.

Well, I had a couple of hours dry start at Bennett Springs MO a couple of years ago. (I was using the same nymphs that I have caught hundreds of trout on in PA) One gent near me was catching a trout every other cast I would say. So I asked him what he was using. Wolly Bugger, Black he said. I switched up, and sure enough I was catching Stocked Trout like crazy. I soon became the person that was being asked, "What are they hitting on"!

"If you think you can't your probably right, if you think you can you are probably right"

One of my favorite quotes of all time, Henry Ford.

It amazes me how true that quote is Ryan.

After a few bad trips, I always need to do something to get the "stink" off me. A trip to a farm pond full of hungry bluegills works, an hour there I feel like I can catch wildest, biggest and prettiest trout that ever swum.

I've taught several friends to fly fish, and when winter rolls around for their first year I remind them that they will not catch as many fish, but this is the time of year to hone your skills and fish HARD and with good technique, because when spring rolls around it will pay off. If you expect fishing to go poorly, it likely will, especially if you are fishing sloppily. I'm not saying you are doing it purposely, but it is definitely a mind set thing! I've had plenty of sad days on the water where I fished all day long, very diligently, with little to show, but more often I do well for myself even on tough days. Stay confident year round and it will pay off.

My top fly for winter trout is definitely a 6 size bugger. It fishes riffles, pools, current breaks, and any water you can think of efficiently. You better believe that fish are at times in some serious riffles and current in the dead of winter. Don't just fish deep, slow pools or huge eddies, etc. I feel the bugger can cover 99% of winter trout fishing situations and do it well.

Agreed 100%. I like to fish a little smaller one - sz 10 4x - the same way. Its my go to when it gets cold out.

Back