Conestoga Carpin'

wgmiller

wgmiller

Made it out to fish the Conestoga River in the Lancaster area the other day and was largely targeting smallmouth bass. While I did have some success with smallies (landed a few 8-9" fish), I had a greater surprise. As I navigated downstream I saw a carp actively feeding atop a rock shelf. I threw a #6 olive wooly bugger on him and he dropped off the shelf, fell back, and returned to his feeding lane. I threw again and put it right in front of him and before I knew it, I was hooked up. The next fifteen minutes proved to be a battle of wills on my 8 WT. He took me into my backing several times and gave me an incredible workout. I eventually worked him downstream where he was "beached". There was a family swimming who got to witness the whole spectacle. The Conestoga is LOADED with crayfish and you can't go wrong with anything that remotely represents this staple crustacean.

If you haven't caught a carp on a fly rod it is an incredible experience! This is my second one, with my first being on the Tully several years ago. The trick is to catch them feeding, not spook them, and put it on their nose. I had 8# tippet on and my terminal tackle held up well, with the tippet snapping only when he was beached.

104462729-10221157190333847-4163586974708269978-n.jpg

Great fish! Welcome to the club

Beast fish man!
The Conestoga is great for carp.

The hole by the Dirty Ol Tavern used to have a Mulberry Tree. That used to be fun!

This has been on my bucket list for years. I really, really need to make it happen.

Well done, Geo! The adrenaline rush at the moment of hook up it pretty awesome. Sounds like you had a great battle and played your cards right. It’s kind of addicting.

Very nice! The only freshwater fish that gets you into your backing

jifigz wrote:
This has been on my bucket list for years. I really, really need to make it happen.

Yes, you do! And honestly, it takes some strategy and timing, but is very doable. And the flies need not be fancy. A hook that rides point-up with dumbell eyes on the bottom would be positioned perfectly. Add some zonker strip, chennille, marabou, etc., and you've got a good carp fly!

Does anyone think that dropping a weighted fly near them with the splash that goes with it tends to spook them?

acesedgley wrote:
Does anyone think that dropping a weighted fly near them with the splash that goes with it tends to spook them?

I honestly prefer bead chain eyes on most of my carp flies over lead dumbbell eyes for that reason.

acesedgley wrote:

I suppose every fish is different. In my case, I threw on him once, he dropped back, returned, and ate the second time. Seems like when they are in feeding mode they are less spooky. They also love the "mulberry hatch", so the sound of those dropping on/in the water doesn't phase them as they stuff themselves full.

Perhaps dc410 can share some of his carpin' stories on how they react to the sound of fly hitting the water.

wgmiller wrote:
Perhaps dc410 can share some of his carpin' stories on how they react to the sound of fly hitting the water.

Yeah, the “mulberry hatch” is a whole different game. I spent a couple of seasons dialing in my deer hair mulberry fly. First I learned the hard way that a standard wire dry fly hook is not durable enough to hold a 10+ pounder. So I upgraded to a heavier wire hook which also gave me a bit more weight ... but not enough weight. My final adjustment to my deer hair fly was to add wraps of lead wire to the shank before spinning the deer hair. This additional weight completed two very important aspects of the fly. First, it gave it that telltale “plop” which is an absolute trigger for the carp when they are actively feeding on berries. Second, and just as important it got the berry riding on the surface at nearly the same level as the natural berries do (about 3/4 below the film and 1/4 above). Over the years until I got the weight of these flies worked out I witnessed many flat out refusals as a carp came up under one of my flies, thoroughly inspected it and passed it off.

For carp that are naturally feeding, (mudding - head down in the silt and tail up), my goal is always to get my fly into the zone in front of the mudding carp as unannounced as possible. Any audible detection by the carp in this situation I feel is a significant risk in spooking the fish. Not to say that occasionally one will not come back around out of curiosity and take a fly on the second presentation - it happens. Geo, is right in that every situation presents a different opportunity and when they are actively feeding in the post spawn period they can at times let there guard down a bit. Tight lines and screamin’ reels!

Back